lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #41
Chris M
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Charger shorting out

The white wire in the lead from charger to cart goes to (in order) DC ammeter, 2 black wires go from there to the transformer, 2 black wires out of transformer crimp connected to 2 white wire that go to diodes. This charger case looks like I'm the first one inside it since it was built. Testing transformer and capacitor again next.
Also, I had a thought that maybe the cord had been smashed and was damaged, though not visibly. ... so I checked and there is NO continuity between the conductors in the charger to cart cord. Cord is not my short...
Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #42
Chris M
Not Yet Wild

The transformer coil voltage test is going over my head. (Bottom of page 3 of this thread) Can someone walk me through? I'm afraid my comprehension of that diagram is minimal. To test capacitor I set DMM to 200k ohms and touched leads to terminals. Reading started at zero and climbed rapidly to infinity (1 on my meter). Is this test sufficient?
Old 06-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #43
Chris M
Not Yet Wild

Nevermind on the transformer test help. You guys have been great. I've joined a few forums over the years and this is one of the best. Members at least head you to the right person if they aren't familiar with what you need.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #44
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
The white wire in the lead from charger to cart goes to (in order) DC ammeter, 2 black wires go from there to the transformer, 2 black wires out of transformer crimp connected to 2 white wire that go to diodes. This charger case looks like I'm the first one inside it since it was built. Testing transformer and capacitor again next.
Also, I had a thought that maybe the cord had been smashed and was damaged, though not visibly. ... so I checked and there is NO continuity between the conductors in the charger to cart cord. Cord is not my short...
Your charger is wired backwards. The Black wire in the output cable ought to be connected to the ammeter and the white wire ought to be connected to the heatsink via the circuit breaker. See attached schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC-III Schematic.jpg (77.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #45
Chris M
Not Yet Wild

I will be checking in to this this afternoon. By that diagram it appears this is probably the issue.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:06 AM   #46
Chris M
Not Yet Wild

Well, if I knew where the previous owner of my cart lived I would have to go revoke his tool ownership privileges. On closer inspection, the 36vdc cord from charger was recently replaced and was wired backwards. I changed it this morning and hooked up charger with no arc. Thanks for all your help guys, especially JohnnieB for all the great tech info.
Now to order some proper batteries for my cart. As a funny aside... thank god for people who have no concept of what their stuff is worth, my battery bill will be less painful knowing i only paid $50 for the working cart with miswired charger. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170618_061123.jpg (235.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #47
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Well, if I knew where the previous owner of my cart lived I would have to go revoke his tool ownership privileges. On closer inspection, the 36vdc cord from charger was recently replaced and was wired backwards. I changed it this morning and hooked up charger with no arc. Thanks for all your help guys, especially JohnnieB for all the great tech info.
Now to order some proper batteries for my cart. As a funny aside... thank god for people who have no concept of what their stuff is worth, my battery bill will be less painful knowing i only paid $50 for the working cart with miswired charger. :-)
I felt like something was backwards somewhere. Glad you got it figured out.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:11 AM   #48
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
You should probably be glad he miswired it, or you wouldn't have gotten it for $50.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:46 AM   #49
Chris M
Not Yet Wild

So I have all my leads repaired and I am getting ready to use the charger receptacle for the first time. I just want to ve sure someone didn't miswire the charge system on cart too. On cart charge wires someone has used white for (-) and black for (+). White goes to top of controller terminal marked B-. Black goes to a post on the soleniod. All the wiring diagrams I have found show these wires going direct to batteries. Advice?
Old 07-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #50
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
So I have all my leads repaired and I am getting ready to use the charger receptacle for the first time. I just want to ve sure someone didn't miswire the charge system on cart too. On cart charge wires someone has used white for (-) and black for (+). White goes to top of controller terminal marked B-. Black goes to a post on the soleniod. All the wiring diagrams I have found show these wires going direct to batteries. Advice?
white should go to the main + on the battery pack and the black to the main - on the battery pack. You need to make sure the charger is wired that way also.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO