lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrade 98 Series to 42v

How old are they? Ideally you'd buy batteries the same age, make, and model. If you can't find them, at least get the same age and amp-hours, and holding about the same charge - volts - 12 hours after coming off the charger.

If yours are two years old, and you buy two new ones, they will soon act like two year old batteries - in other words, they'll die two years sooner than if you were to buy all new ones.

It was mentioned that you can fit two in the bagwell. You could also add one under the driver's seat and one in the bagwell. In either event, you'll end up with cables that are too long for when you finally replace the eight with six 8 volt batteries.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2018, 10:56 PM   #12
jasonnorton
Not Yet Wild

I got the cart a year ago for $500. The batteries came with it. Honestly don't know how old they are. I've only recently put any money into it; the upgrades listed at the beginning. All the wires were replaced with a kit I got off Amazon before I found this site and found ScottyB. I get a bonus once a year and put a large part of that bonus into buying the controller and the solenoid hoping to make it future proof. Also did the reversing contactors as the wife hated the F/R switch. I consistently get about 13mph, which is to be expected from what I read here. I'd like to get to 15 or 17 and thought these three options are the safest way to get there. It gets a lot of use from my wife taking the kids back and forth to the bus stop daily (four kids, three different bus schedules).
jasonnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:39 AM   #13
Sideways
Gone Wild

Jasonnorton, welcome to the site!
I upgraded my 94 Medalist from 36v to 48v this past winter with the same hardware you have, including the SW182 from Scottyb. After the upgrade my top speed was 15-16mph which was fine for me since I use my cart primarily to golf with.
From everything I have read on this site the stock series motors do better on 48v than 42v.
My suggestion is to wait until your 6v batteries start to fail then finish the 48v conversion by purchasing 6 8v batteries and a charger.
Good luck and keep us posted whatever route you decide to take!
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonnorton View Post
I got the cart a year ago for $500. The batteries came with it. Honestly don't know how old they are. I've only recently put any money into it; the upgrades listed at the beginning. All the wires were replaced with a kit I got off Amazon before I found this site and found ScottyB. I get a bonus once a year and put a large part of that bonus into buying the controller and the solenoid hoping to make it future proof. Also did the reversing contactors as the wife hated the F/R switch. I consistently get about 13mph, which is to be expected from what I read here. I'd like to get to 15 or 17 and thought these three options are the safest way to get there. It gets a lot of use from my wife taking the kids back and forth to the bus stop daily (four kids, three different bus schedules).
Looks like everybody overlooked the fact you have a 36V reversing contactor installed.

I'm pretty sure the reversing contactor's solenoid coil will have to match the battery pack voltage and not sure if a 42V unit exists, or if a 48V unit will work at 42V.

Of course, with some creative wiring, you can run the reversing contactor coils at 36V with either a 7x6V 42V pack or a 8x6V 48V pack, but you cannot tap a 6X8V 48V pack for 36V.

Probably be best to contact Scotty about what to do for the reversing contactor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #15
Sideways
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Looks like everybody overlooked the fact you have a 36V reversing contactor installed.

I'm pretty sure the reversing contactor's solenoid coil will have to match the battery pack voltage and not sure if a 42V unit exists, or if a 48V unit will work at 42V.

Of course, with some creative wiring, you can run the reversing contactor coils at 36V with either a 7x6V 42V pack or a 8x6V 48V pack, but you cannot tap a 6X8V 48V pack for 36V.

Probably be best to contact Scotty about what to do for the reversing contactor.
Opps, that would be me!
Thanks for clearing that up JohnnieB
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #16
jasonnorton
Not Yet Wild

Thanks JohnnieB for that point. ScottyB has been awesome in his email correspondence when I've asked questions. He sent me the how to on making the 36v SW182 work with more batteries.

So do we think I'll get any speed increase with the Admiral Mot1-A1 motor if I keep standard 18" tires? Am I destined for 13mph without a voltage increase even if I get a new motor? I think creative wiring and two more 6v's may be my way to go (33% speed increase) unless that motor can get me 18mph. That's all I'm really chasing...
Old 09-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #17
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What is the operating environment? Flat--hills--mountains?
I know you can achieve 17-20 mph at 36v with the correct motor assuming your batteries are healthy enough to support it. I don't know about the Admiral A-1. I did it with a D297 in a relatively heavy EZGO shuttle 2+2. If I were to do it again I would consider an AMD 7126 or something from Pumquick although probably more expensive.
Something to consider is a performance motor will put more strain on the amp delivery system exposing any weakness and in your case that is probably the batteries. Might hasten their demise.
Also, put me in the camp that says 48v should be the ultimate goal for a series cart.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #18
jasonnorton
Not Yet Wild

We have some big hills here in Leesburg, VA. I'm on the top of one. Schoolbus drops off at the bottom. We RV a lot and are hoping to fit it in the back of an F-250 as we pull our travel trailer. Right now at the bottom of the hill I can maintain 13mph no problem. On the way back up the hill (just tested it tonight) GPS phone app goes back and forth between 7 and 8mph.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #19
jasonnorton
Not Yet Wild

Here is my "$500" special

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #20
jasonnorton
Not Yet Wild

And this is my hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO