lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Webby3650
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 36v alltrax upgrade help

I purchased a new alltrax 400 amp controller and a 200 amp solenoid from Scotty at carts unlimited. I have an 2008 ez-go 36v txt pds.
I’ve got a few questions if someone can help. Please forgive me in advance for my ignorance on the subject..
The old solenoid is nothing like the new one, and the new has no diagrams. The old one has 3 small wires going to it. Red blue and yellow. The yellow is my +, what are the other 2 for? Not sure where they go?

Last edited by Webby3650; 10-05-2018 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Additional information
Webby3650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v alltrax upgrade help

Your old solenoid had two small terminals and two large ones. Wire the new one up like the old one was.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You should have the install document (similar to the )attached below with your controller.

The new SW180 200 amp solenoid looks different but it functions the same as your old solenoid and it has the same number of terminals; 2 small and 2 large.
A quick look at the document and the solenoid reveal that the 2 small terminals are marked + and -. And a look at the big terminals shows a + on one.

Another look at the document explains that you Yellow wire is indeed the positive wire. This wire and any other wires (red) that were on the same terminal are all + and they go on the small + terminal of the new solenoid.
If you have more than one + solenoid wire you will have to gang two into one spade terminal... remember the diode goes on the small terminals too. In some applications you may find it easiest to fit one wire and the correct diode end into one crimp spade connector.
Pay attention - the diode has a + and - end. Read the install document carefully.

Another look at the document reads the battery cable connects to the big terminal with the + sign... so the controller cable must connect to the other big terminal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SW180 1pg.jpg (129.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Webby3650
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You should have the install document (similar to the )attached below with your controller.

The new SW180 200 amp solenoid looks different but it functions the same as your old solenoid and it has the same number of terminals; 2 small and 2 large.
A quick look at the document and the solenoid reveal that the 2 small terminals are marked + and -. And a look at the big terminals shows a + on one.

Another look at the document explains that you Yellow wire is indeed the positive wire. This wire and any other wires (red) that were on the same terminal are all + and they go on the small + terminal of the new solenoid.
If you have more than one + solenoid wire you will have to gang two into one spade terminal... remember the diode goes on the small terminals too. In some applications you may find it easiest to fit one wire and the correct diode end into one crimp spade connector.
Pay attention - the diode has a + and - end. Read the install document carefully.

Another look at the document reads the battery cable connects to the big terminal with the + sign... so the controller cable must connect to the other big terminal.
I do have a similar document. It states that the yellow is the + wire but that’s it. I failed to notices that one of the 3 wires wires had a larger connector that goes to the solenoid.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
Webby3650
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Your old solenoid had two small terminals and two large ones. Wire the new one up like the old one was.
Thanks! I failed to notice that the red wire has a bigger connector on it, for the solenoid. I got it all figured out now. Thanks again! I’m up and running.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #6
Webby3650
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

We took the cart for a big ride this evening. We have 37 acres with a lot of hills. The cart did awesome with the new parts! We can stop and restart on even the biggest hills we have. Mud, hills, no problem!
I added the FN2 on the fly controller. It changes the speed on the fly, but it doesn’t have much regen braking. Any ideas why?
Old 10-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webby3650 View Post
We took the cart for a big ride this evening. We have 37 acres with a lot of hills. The cart did awesome with the new parts! We can stop and restart on even the biggest hills we have. Mud, hills, no problem!
I added the FN2 on the fly controller. It changes the speed on the fly, but it doesn’t have much regen braking. Any ideas why?
You need to program the min/max regen braking for your specific cart.

FN2 manual attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc113-016-A_FN2-XCT_Operators-Manual.pdf (718.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #8
Webby3650
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I saw this information, but I also read that the controller was already programmed for my cart. I see now that in order to use the programmer it needs to be programmed. I’ll get that taken care of ASAP. Thanks so much.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webby3650 View Post
I saw this information, but I also read that the controller was already programmed for my cart. I see now that in order to use the programmer it needs to be programmed. I’ll get that taken care of ASAP. Thanks so much.
No two carts are exactly the same and no two cart owners have exactly the same wants/needs/desires, so you'll need to do some tweaking to get everything the way you like it.

I've been running a XCT48400PDS in my 2008 PDS cart since May-2015 and I still tweak the settings every now and then.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
Webby3650
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I’ve got it plugged into my computer at the moment. What is a safe rpm limit for my stock motor? Also, throttle rate: I’m not sure where this should be set to. Any suggestions?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO