lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Didn't Water Batteries, Now Reduced Range...

I recently had to limp home after a relatively short trip. I checked the batteries and discovered some plates exposed in all my 12V x 4. Other stuff got in the way of important things and I didn't check the battery water in some time. I refilled, but run time continues to be reduced. Should I expect permanent damage to the cells even after refilling with distilled water? Is it time to go 8V x 6?
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Didn't Water Batteries, Now Reduced Range...

Yes, you've done irreversible damage due to the lead plates being exposed to air. How much damage??? Who knows. But they definitely will not perform the same again.

Hopefully the batteries weren't too new and were getting close in age to being replaced anyway.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

As NCP said, your batteries are irreversibly damaged.

And, yes it would be a good time to update to a 6x8V battery pack.

You'll get better range, better performance (the voltage of the higher AH 8V batteries won't drop as much under the same load) and the 8V batteries will have a longer useful lifespan (unless abused).
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, darn. They are 3 years old, still had adequate juice for what we do, too.

Did we ever resolve the "which tray" issue, as someone had said there is a plastic version as opposed to the steel.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What battery charger do you have?
I would let the pack charge fully, let it sit a few hours then check the voltage on the individual batteries. If any are lower use a 12v charger on those batteries by themselves to try to bring the voltage up to try to balance the pack. After a short run reset the OBC and charge again. This should act somewhat like a de-sulfation charge and may help bring some of that lost capacity back.

You may still be able to get some life out of them, but you need to keep an eye on the water levels. They will use more water now than they did before.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The plastic tray is only for 12v batteries, it isn't big enough to hold 6x 8v.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #7
sprockket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just an FYI about your batteries. I bought a 2007 PDS about 6 years ago. I bought it from a dealer late in the year after the carts came off golf courses.The cart was in great shape, however the Trojan T-105's were severly neglected. I.E. several cells low on water or even dry. The cart had not been charged in quite some time. I'm thinking 3 months. I was able to strike a deal and took the cart home. Jonnieb was the man when I went searching about my cart. I watered the batteries, and started to charge them. I charged them 3 times back to back before driving. I installed a volt meter from Scottyb and kept charging every chance I had. After a while the batteries got stronger. I was over the top looking after these batteries for 4 more years. They finally gave out and I installed Trojan T-125's. JUst saying don't give up on those batteries just yet. You said they did what you wanted them to do. I think if you charge , charge , charge them, they will hold up for a bit yet. If you use it at all, even for 5 minutes, charge it. Keep an eye on the water and you might be alright. Sorry for the long post! Good luck!
sprockket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
sprockket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just a follow up. The batteries in my cart were not the originals when I bought it. My cart is 36v and yours 48v but your batteries should respond the same. Thanks.
sprockket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah, I've got it on the charger when not in use. Maybe I'll try one of those car chargers to try to juice them a bit before I spend the $$ on new batteries and tray. I got nothing to lose.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #10
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggieman18 View Post
Yeah, I've got it on the charger when not in use. Maybe I'll try one of those car chargers to try to juice them a bit before I spend the $$ on new batteries and tray. I got nothing to lose.
You should unplug it from the cart and plug it back in few times once it finishes charging.

Also if your charger doesn't have a float mode or maintenance mode be sure to unplug it from the cart and plug it back periodically if you don't use it often. Most chargers just turn off after they complete the charge cycle if they don't have the float or maintenance modes.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO