lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Smoking Control Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Jack it up on jack stands and disconnect cables to the motor. Be sure and use two wrenches, as you have to hold back on the bottom nut. Temporarily connect one the the rotor and one of the stator studs with a cable. since this is a fast test you can use wire. Now connect the remaining two studs to 12 or 18 volts. Be careful not to arc to the soft lead battery terminals. I'd just use jumper cables. It either runs or it doesn't.
Had to run down the street and headed back that way.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #12
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

Jumped the motor and The Wheels Spin!!!!:

My next step is to go through Chapter E troubleshooting flowchart to find out what isn't doing what it should. I do have the solenoid click.. does that automatically mean its good?
Thanks so far to those that have chimed in, so glad I found you guys
89redgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redgt View Post
Jumped the motor and The Wheels Spin!!!!:

My next step is to go through Chapter E troubleshooting flowchart to find out what isn't doing what it should. I do have the solenoid click.. does that automatically mean its good?
Thanks so far to those that have chimed in, so glad I found you guys
Not necessarily. Here's what my stock solenoid looked like inside with too many passengers and stock tires. It would click away, but only intermittently work, depending on how the copper contacts lined up.

Yeah, you'll definitely get your money's worth here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (59.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #14
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Not necessarily. Here's what my stock solenoid looked like inside with too many passengers and stock tires. It would click away, but only intermittently work, depending on how the copper contacts lined up.

Yeah, you'll definitely get your money's worth here.
Hummm that looks bad.. would a solenoid smoke? The PO was pretty clear about smoke coming from under the seat..
Old 06-26-2019, 09:26 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hummm that looks bad.. would a solenoid smoke? The PO was pretty clear about smoke coming from under the seat..
Heck yeah, and it's right next to the controller.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:18 AM   #16
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
is it possible for a bad solenoid to test okay?
Old 06-27-2019, 07:27 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
is it possible for a bad solenoid to test okay?
Which test? A solenoid is a switch, where instead of moving something like the FNR by hand, a low current (wires instead of cables) controls a high current circuit. We already know the coil works. That's the "clicky" part. It worked on mine, but the high current contacts did not close, reliably.

I'd suggest starting with Chapter E troubleshooting. It looks daunting, but should go pretty fast.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:55 AM   #18
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Which test? A solenoid is a switch, where instead of moving something like the FNR by hand, a low current (wires instead of cables) controls a high current circuit. We already know the coil works. That's the "clicky" part. It worked on mine, but the high current contacts did not close, reliably.

I'd suggest starting with Chapter E troubleshooting. It looks daunting, but should go pretty fast.
Thanks, Ill go through that chapter and report back
Old 06-27-2019, 08:11 AM   #19
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

some pics of what my control area looks like, whats the blue wire for in the middle pic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1164.jpg (207.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg loose blue wire.jpg (198.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg control box and solenoid.jpg (201.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #20
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Heres the latest. I tested the solenoid for continuity and the terminals are not “welded Closed” as the manual mentions. It then says if the contacts are not welded and the wiring to the solenoid is good, the coil has failed and the solenoid must be replaced. How do I know if the wires are good?

moving on to the flowchart.. key on, direction F, pedal down just enough to hear the solenoid click. Next with the pedal fully depressed checking the voltage between B+ and M- I get 1.5V and then the box starts smoking and making a crackling noise. I can see seen vapors of smoke emanating from The seams of the box. Shut off the power and disconnected the battery cables.
So that Concludes my test, obviously my box is toast. Has anyone else experienced such an event? My concern is if I replace the box with another good unit that the same problem may happen again because of some other exterior problems that I’m not aware of nor know how to test for.. What should I do next
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO