lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
wsheffield81@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Default oil mixture

i recently bought a used ezgo 2 cycle cart and i read on line that the gas to oil mixture is 128.1to 1 the previous owner told me to mix it 50.1 to 1 will this make any difference in performance
wsheffield81@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: oil mixture

The proper mixture is 128:1, there's no reason to mix it 50:1......... Simply add 1 ounce of oil to 1 gallon of gas
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
The proper mixture is 128:1, there's no reason to mix it 50:1......... Simply add 1 ounce of oil to 1 gallon of gas

I still can't grasp how that's enough oil to lubricate the piston and workings. I believe there's a needle bearing around the rod to crankshaft connection, and another one in the wrist pin but still.....

I wonder if the lower oil mixture is to prevent it from smoking like an ATV or Dirtbike where not only is it acceptable, it's expected?

"If it ain't smokin, you ain't ridin hard enough!"
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I still can't grasp how that's enough oil to lubricate the piston and workings. I believe there's a needle bearing around the rod to crankshaft connection, and another one in the wrist pin but still.....

I wonder if the lower oil mixture is to prevent it from smoking like an ATV or Dirtbike where not only is it acceptable, it's expected?

"If it ain't smokin, you ain't ridin hard enough!"
Like CP241 I never 100 % trusted the 1 ounce of oil to 1 gallon of gas mixture so I just added a little more.
When people disconnect these governors then I think you need more oil in gas. I also would never trust the oil injection on engines this old.
You are not going to mess up a lot of things if you mix at 50-1. Go half way in between is what I did when I owned one for a short time.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The only bad that's gonna happen at 50:1 vs 128:1 is if you use cheap oil that doesnt burn as cleanly, it may accumulate in your muffler. But that really is no big deal, it takes a LOT of time before it starts to affect performance. And when it does, see the muffler bbq thread. 30-45 minutes in a fire pit and it's as good as new. Makes for a neat show when your muffler gets hot and acts like a flame thrower too!

If you just bought the cart, bbq'ing the muffler may not be a bad idea. Its only.got around 30 years of oil and buildup in it.... probably run a lot better for sure
Old 08-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have seen old 2 stroke EZGO's that still had the factory "tag" over the fuel tank neck. Said if the oil injection system was not used to run 128:1 for normal operation, I believe it stated 50:1 for break in of a new or rebuilt engine. So, Somebody at EZGO seemed fairly certain 128:1 was enough. I have suggested to those who were uncertain about the 128:1 that they could easily do 100:1 with those little 50:1 bottles by just mixing it to 2 gallons of gas rather than 1 gallon.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
I have seen old 2 stroke EZGO's that still had the factory "tag" over the fuel tank neck. Said if the oil injection system was not used to run 128:1 for normal operation, I believe it stated 50:1 for break in of a new or rebuilt engine. So, Somebody at EZGO seemed fairly certain 128:1 was enough. I have suggested to those who were uncertain about the 128:1 that they could easily do 100:1 with those little 50:1 bottles by just mixing it to 2 gallons of gas rather than 1 gallon.
I fully believe you that 128:1 is ezgo/robins recommendation it just doesnt sit right with me. If it were mine I'd use a little more just for my own peace of mind. But that's just sorta ingrained in my brain from years of 4wheelers and dirtbikes. Even my kids little Suzuki LT80, I run 32:1. Maybe 40:1 in the winter because the air is a little denser but I never go less than that.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

The 128:1 sticker was still on the frame on mine when I bought it 20 years ago, I was shocked on how lean it said but been running it that way all this time.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
wsheffield81@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

thanks everyone for the replies it was very helpfull
wsheffield81@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO