lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2020, 09:40 PM   #1
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Drive belt question

I got a 1998 workhorse in my shop today that I had a hard time getting the stock 72054G01 belt on and off. I measured two more carts (2003 qne 2004 ) , one TXT and one workhorse I get 10.5 inches from center of bolts from driven clutch and drive clutch. .

The one I am having this issue with measures 11 inches between drive and driven clutch bolt centers. That would make it harder to get the stock belt on but not sure what I am missing.

This cart had the workhorse differential replaced last year. He removed the it and installed one I had. Mine was from of a 1998 TXT in it but I would think it would make no difference ??

It was late today when he brought it and I only did some measuring and tried to remove the belt which is supposed to be a 10 second job. I had to roll it off with a large screwdriver as that is the only way I could get it off.
Drive clutch feels good.

He had watched me remove a belt on a cart in my shop last year as I showed him how easy it was. He had called me later that day and said his would not come off without using something to pry it off with. Not sure how it ended up here but I got it I guess because I told him that is supposed to come off easy.

This cart has the 295 engine. Data plate info Serial # A55148 Manufacturing Code D798. Model Workhorse.
Maybe after I get some sleep I will be able to find why this belt is so hard to remove.

Last edited by trig123; 01-07-2020 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: added more info
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2020, 11:05 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Drive belt question

If it's the shorter version or HD version belt, they can be a real bi**h to get on or off.

If the differential was replaced, maybe the diff was "clocked" a bit high? I could see that affecting the distance between clutches. Is it lifted?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:32 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
If it's the shorter version or HD version belt, they can be a real bi**h to get on or off.
Its the stock belt.

If the differential was replaced, maybe the diff was "clocked" a bit high? I could see that affecting the distance between clutches. Is it lifted?
It only has the long rear spring shackles which are quite ugly Does have 22 inch tires.
I told him it needed the rear springs installed on top of differential to give it the lift needed for his tires but he is hard headed and won't do it. I sure am not doing it for him.

This cart is a mess. Brake cables are not right. The brakes hang on. I had to lift the pedal with my foot to get into the shop. Brake cables are on top of this cart and the looked like they might be in a bind. He said they were that way with the workhorse rear end he removed.

Mine 2004 workhorse which is lifted the brake cables are on the bottom. He told me he could not get them installed that way but I can't say for sure.
Maybe tomorrow I can get a picture on here.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:41 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Hmm...

If its lifted with rear shackles it will change the angle of the rear end upward. Drawing it further away from the drive clutch. I know the engine is "attached" to the rear end but a couple millimeters can account for quite a bit more the further outward you go from the mount.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:02 AM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hmm...

If its lifted with rear shackles it will change the angle of the rear end upward. Drawing it further away from the drive clutch. I know the engine is "attached" to the rear end but a couple millimeters can account for quite a bit more the further outward you go from the mount.
I will see if I can whats up tomorrow if I find the time. I really want it gone. This is the cart he wanted the 28 degree clutch for and yours looks and feels great. Installing a shorter belt would be impossible on this one. . Let me install the clutch I got from you tomorrow and see if it will pull a hill. He can do the rest. Another time when I didn't tell a person they could bring me a cart to work on. He won't sell it to me because he just installed a rebuilt engine in it. Its worth more than the cart
I guess I could just stick the standard tires and wheels on the rear , then remove these dump looking tall shackles and replace with standard ones and see what happens.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Hey trig, I never had a motor out but thought the cradle had elongated holes where you could adjust the motor back and forth??
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I really don't remember but I do have a few cradles laying around somewhere so i will look. Thanks StoveBolt
I just looked and I don't see any more holes. Maybe I missed something. This belt is a pain to get on and it is stock. Is does measure 1/2 inch longer between those clutches also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo parts.jpg (103.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
Hey trig, I never had a motor out but thought the cradle had elongated holes where you could adjust the motor back and forth??
no, there should not be any adjustment on the cradles. The motor bolts to the cradles both from the bottom, as well as the front and back sides of the motor/cradle (8 bolts total).
Old 01-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #9
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
no, there should not be any adjustment on the cradles. The motor bolts to the cradles both from the bottom, as well as the front and back sides of the motor/cradle (8 bolts total).

Must have been the after market one's for the big block conversions I've seen.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

This is a rear end from a cart I'm parting out now. If you zoom in you can see the holes are round. The bolts are pretty large too, there might be a smidge of play but not enough to make a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200106_140528.jpg (302.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO