lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #1
mcat2197
Not Yet Wild

Default Can't shift after motor replacement.

Good morning,
I picked up an older ezgo gas cart with a blown motor. Replaced motor with a Predator 22hp because I had it. (not a fan). I can shift forward / reverse ok with motor off. But when motor is running, it jams in whatever gear it started in. I'm using the original drive & driven pulleys. The belt seams to be adjusted correctly yet I feel like I need to hold the cart back when I start in gear. My question is exactly how much play should there be in the belt and how much force should the belt be applying to the driven when the cart is stopped and motor is running? IOW- if I start in gear at idle, should the cart just sit there or should it be trying to go?

Thanks!
mcat2197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Can't shift after motor replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcat2197 View Post
Good morning,
I picked up an older ezgo gas cart with a blown motor. Replaced motor with a Predator 22hp because I had it. (not a fan). I can shift forward / reverse ok with motor off. But when motor is running, it jams in whatever gear it started in. I'm using the original drive & driven pulleys. The belt seams to be adjusted correctly yet I feel like I need to hold the cart back when I start in gear. My question is exactly how much play should there be in the belt and how much force should the belt be applying to the driven when the cart is stopped and motor is running? IOW- if I start in gear at idle, should the cart just sit there or should it be trying to go?

Thanks!
Loose enough so it's slipping on the drive clutch shaft.. with No pressure on the driven, they work really loose even
with the belt just bouncing on the shaft at idle, the idle has to be slow enough that the clutch isn't engaging though.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Assuming you are using the OEM clutch because either you (or the previous owner) cut the crankshaft down, and used a tapered adapter to make the stock clutch fit.

If you're using the OEM clutch, it engages *VERY* easily so you'll have to run the belt *VERY* loose. I picked up a cart with a predator 420 and the OEM clutch, the clutch can start to close just pulling on the pull starter hard. When the engine started, without a belt it would slam closed. I swapped it with a clutch from a polaris razr 800 I had laying around (fits the same taper as an ezgo perfectly) and it will idle fine being open. It also has a roller in the bottom of the shaft for the belt to ride on while it idles. It comes off it's full "open" position on idle but doesn't close until I start to rev the engine up.

Still waiting for the belt I ordered to arrive, but I think this polaris clutch is the ticket

If your crankshaft hasn't been cut, and you can still use the keyed straight shaft, then your best bet is a comet 780 or the CVtech clutch that vegas carts sells.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And yes, you should be able to idle, shift into and out of gear without shutting off the cart. I also have a TXT I put a 15hp lifan motor in, works great. idles good without creeping or moving, shifts fine while the motor is running. but I used the CVTech clutch and adapter plate from VC. Belt is fairly tight but since the clutch doesn't close until it comes off idle, idle is no problem.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
mcat2197
Not Yet Wild

Thanks much. That has to be the problem. Will try slowing the idle and adjusting the belt
Old 01-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
mcat2197
Not Yet Wild

thanks much. That is the problem. will adjust idle and belt
Old 01-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

We’re supposed to be having these carts idle?? I thought they were supposed to stop when we release the throttle... Kinda the whole point of the starter/generator. These ain’t like electric carts... ain’t no magnetic field reversing when you shift from forward to reverse while still rolling... these is steel gears that don’t like reversing direction while in motion
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolflt View Post
We’re supposed to be having these carts idle?? I thought they were supposed to stop when we release the throttle... Kinda the whole point of the starter/generator. These ain’t like electric carts... ain’t no magnetic field reversing when you shift from forward to reverse while still rolling... these is steel gears that don’t like reversing direction while in motion
It's not a stock motor, so it doesn't behave like a stock cart. he's got a 22hp v-twin motor in the cart

As long as at idle the belt has enough slippage that the driven clutch doesn't turn, you can shift just fine with the motor idling. There are also some carts that are key start like that and idle from the factory. I don't know if ezgo ever made them, but I know club car had carryall's that were key start and would run until you manually shut them off. let off the pedal and they'll idle all day if you let them
Old 01-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #9
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ah
22hp?... So if he gets tired of golf he can take it to the tractor pulls
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driven clutch, rear end, shifter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO