lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2020, 05:05 AM   #1
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: England.live in a small Hamlet(village) poulation28
Default EZGO txt clutch problem

My EZGO txt when put in drive makes a very loud chattering noise, I don't think the drive sheaves are closing to grip the belt, there is a black cover over the it, can this be removed to give access to the bolts to allow stripping the clutch to check for a broken spring or see what is wrong with ot? Any advice will be great, thanks, RockinR382
rockinr382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2020, 06:22 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: EZGO txt clutch problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinr382 View Post
My EZGO txt when put in drive makes a very loud chattering noise I don't think the drive sheaves are closing to grip the belt, there is a black cover over the it, can this be removed to give access to the bolts to allow stripping the clutch to check for a broken spring or see what is wrong with ot? Any advice will be great, thanks, RockinR382

Jack it up, run it and see if it's closing before you tear it apart, make sure it's not a stripped hub or maybe not fully in gear.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Sound more on the rear driven clutch, will remove wheels and check brakes first be fore any major removal, sheaves on drive clutch are ok so will look for advice on that when I’ve checked the brakes, thanks for your advice Rockinr382
Old 01-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Clutches should never make noise. The only noises I've ever heard from clutches are popping.

Chattering noise is most likely your shifter not making it all the way into gear, and your gears are grinding. Or you may have a stripped hub.

I've certainly not seen or done it all, but I buy some pretty jacked up golf carts and I've never heard noises like you describe from a clutch.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinr382 View Post
Sound more on the rear driven clutch, will remove wheels and check brakes first be fore any major removal, sheaves on drive clutch are ok so will look for advice on that when I’ve checked the brakes, thanks for your advice Rockinr382
Don't have to remove, just see if axle nut in center of wheel is spinning and the wheel not..
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

My money is on its not shifted into gear good.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I concur with both thoughts, either not shifting properly or drum/hub is stripped. You mention in your pm that it does not appear that the clutches are moving correctly? can you clarify?

if gears are not shifting properly, then its either cable adjustment or a broken cable. If its the hub spinning, then as Stovebolt says, see if one of the nuts spins when trying to drive it. If so its a new brake drum required.

You say that the clutches do not seem to grip the belt. That suggests that the drive clutch is damaged and you can check this by removing the three bolts and popping the cover off. It should be fairly obvious if the weights are broken or fallen off!

If none of these are the answer then it may just be the gears in the axle have gone on Holiday LOL.

EDIT.
To be honest, you don't usually get a warning noise when the drum splines go, it just shears them off instantly. A grinding noise is usually not fully engaging the gears and a rattly noise is usually the front clutch has dropped some weights or rollers. usually the rear clutch does not fail noisily either!

You mentioned in your PM, that you have changed the belt. Was that before or after hearing the noise and not getting any movement?
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #8
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok it’s the gear selector that’s the problem, in reverse its fine but going forward it starts it drive then jumps out of gear, how do I cure that, jacked it up and ran it wheels off the ground and all ok but when loaded that’s when the rattle starts
Any advice is very welcome Rockinr382
Old 01-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

What year is the cart? Depending on the year some had 1 cable to shift. Some had a 2 cable system.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #10
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

It’s got to work cables thanks

Tags
buggy will no drive
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO