lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Default 3pg carb cleaning - ultra sonic?

Hey guys. When I was given my 90 marathon with the 3PG a few years ago it did not run. At the time i bought a $25 chinese carb and threw it in. It turned out that the coil was the only thing bad.
I left the chinese carb in and out the original mikuni in a box.
Since then I've always had to adjust this chinese carb about 2 times a year and always had an problem with it puking a splash fuel out on the intake side when you let off the throttle.
Now I'm not the most knowledgeable at cleaning or rebuilding carbs. But since the it's been sitting a few years and it's probably never been touched the 20+ years it ran in the cart i want to use it again.
I was thinking about purchasing the ultra sonic cleaner from harbor freight for this and future projects.
Again I've never used one.
Does anyone have any recommendations on what types of solutions to use in the cleaner?
What to take apart in the carb? What to not put into the cleaner?
Also should anything out of chinese carb be used to rebuilt the mikuni?
The only thing I ever done was use to needle from the mikuni in the chinese one because the chinese one didnt thread down all the way I believe.
Also does anyone know how many turns out the needle should be?
Nascarfastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2020, 04:28 AM   #2
875VA
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default Re: 3pg carb cleaning - ultra sonic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfastcar View Post
Hey guys. When I was given my 90 marathon with the 3PG a few years ago it did not run. At the time i bought a $25 chinese carb and threw it in. It turned out that the coil was the only thing bad.
I left the chinese carb in and out the original mikuni in a box.
Since then I've always had to adjust this chinese carb about 2 times a year and always had an problem with it puking a splash fuel out on the intake side when you let off the throttle.
Now I'm not the most knowledgeable at cleaning or rebuilding carbs. But since the it's been sitting a few years and it's probably never been touched the 20+ years it ran in the cart i want to use it again.
I was thinking about purchasing the ultra sonic cleaner from harbor freight for this and future projects.
Again I've never used one.
Does anyone have any recommendations on what types of solutions to use in the cleaner?
What to take apart in the carb? What to not put into the cleaner?
Also should anything out of chinese carb be used to rebuilt the mikuni?
The only thing I ever done was use to needle from the mikuni in the chinese one because the chinese one didnt thread down all the way I believe.
Also does anyone know how many turns out the needle should be?

I use Simple Green and water. When it finishes it's cleaning cycle take it out and dry it off, spray all the internal passages with carb cleaner and put it back together. Avoid cleaners that have a reaction with aluminum, Purple Power is one of them if I remember correctly. when removing anything with an adjustment I thread inward till it bottoms out and count how many times it turns, then when installing you tighten it down and back it out the same amount of turns and that gets you to a good starting point usually.
875VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I got mine on amazon but I hear the harbor freight ones work just fine until the on/off switch goes out

They work surprisingly well... they clean every orifice provided the solution gets to em. Mine heats and works on a timer. The neat part about the USC is that they work through plastic containers and plastic baggies. I fill the unit up with water then the solution and parts go in a ziplock baggie so that I don’t have to keep changing solutions in the cleaner itself. I use water, gasoline, varsol, vinegar... whatever... kinda depends on what I’m cleaning... but I seldom even bother changing the water in the unit

You have to be a bit careful though... They work pretty fast. Only rarely have I had to clean anything longer than 30 minutes and that’s way too long for most applications. The USC will ‘clean off’ paint, nickel plating, zinc, anodizing, galvanizing, etc.

I’ve seen things that clean prettier but I’ve never seen anything clean better and it don’t take long
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:45 AM   #4
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 875VA View Post
I use Simple Green and water. When it finishes it's cleaning cycle take it out and dry it off, spray all the internal passages with carb cleaner and put it back together. Avoid cleaners that have a reaction with aluminum, Purple Power is one of them if I remember correctly. when removing anything with an adjustment I thread inward till it bottoms out and count how many times it turns, then when installing you tighten it down and back it out the same amount of turns and that gets you to a good starting point usually.
People say regular simple green will etch aluminum. But theres a specific simple green "d" version that's safe. Do you use a 50 50 mix with water?
Nascarfastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #5
875VA
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfastcar View Post
People say regular simple green will etch aluminum. But theres a specific simple green "d" version that's safe. Do you use a 50 50 mix with water?
I use mostly water and dump a couple cups of solution in at the end. I have a larger ultrasonic cleaner, if I had something small it wouldn't bother me to use 50/50 mix and not be expensive.
875VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I buy the gallon buckets of gunk carb and parts cleaner. It's kinda pricey (about $30 for a pale of it) but works like magic. I have never met a carb that couldnt be saved...

Mine is also heated but I stick to around 45-50°C. Wouldnt go much hotter than that with the gunk.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO