lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
Ruskin Golf
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha Gas Cart Help!!!

I bought a used Yamaha Gas Golf cart, and the motor would run way to fast when you would try to go. i took the back plate off and messed with the governor thinking i could fix it myself. Well i couldn't, so i took it to a local guy that works on them and he called me with some bad news. he said the governor is completely dead and the rear end is going out, and it needs to be either rebuilt or replaced. He then said he did some looking and he cant find alot but some for $1500, the trick is to find one for a 2007 YDRA, does anyone have any knowledge on where to find these or how much it wold cost to replace?
My thing is i bought this used for $2900, the guy told me there was nothing wrong with it, do i call him back and ask for my money back and buy a diffrent one for $3500-$4000(what gas carts cost used typically) or just replace fix this one.

Any information or help is Gratefully appreciated.
Ruskin Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
matthd24
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha Gas Cart Help!!!

Hello Ruskin Golf,

What makes the guy think the rear end is going out? Did he give you any information ?

Thanks
matthd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
Ruskin Golf
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

No, he didn't explain much to why he thought it was going out. That just what he came up with.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Golf View Post
I bought a used Yamaha Gas Golf cart, and the motor would run way to fast when you would try to go. i took the back plate off and messed with the governor thinking i could fix it myself. Well i couldn't, so i took it to a local guy that works on them and he called me with some bad news. he said the governor is completely dead and the rear end is going out, and it needs to be either rebuilt or replaced. He then said he did some looking and he cant find alot but some for $1500, the trick is to find one for a 2007 YDRA, does anyone have any knowledge on where to find these or how much it wold cost to replace?
My thing is i bought this used for $2900, the guy told me there was nothing wrong with it, do i call him back and ask for my money back and buy a diffrent one for $3500-$4000(what gas carts cost used typically) or just replace fix this one.

Any information or help is Gratefully appreciated.
What year cart?

Explain the problem in more detail.

Governors don't just die...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
matthd24
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Golf View Post
No, he didn't explain much to why he thought it was going out. That just what he came up with.
Well I would suggest having someone else take a look at it.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:50 AM   #6
Ruskin Golf
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

its a 2007 Yamaha, So i bought it off Craigslist from a guy that sells golfcarts and UTVs. i got there and looked at while i was i was looking he told me that he just got it a couple weeks ago and that the person he got it from messed with the governor because its very fast. well i test drove it and it was fast but the motor ran way to fast and that it didn't sound right. so i bought it thinking i just needed to adjust the governor. i got home and messed with it and screwed it all the way out basically and it didn't do a thing different. i check to make sure they didn't bypass it strait to the carburetor and they didn't, so at that point i was as far as i could go with looking at it. So I took it to my local guy to have him look at it, he called me later that day and told my that the governor was dead and that the rear end was going out. im not to smart with the small engines so im trusted him. he said that parts or new ones were hard to find because it had to be for a YDRA model.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
matthd24
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Yeah i have a 2009 YDR and I have done a governor mod the way Don Plowman instructed. My cart will do around 31 mph and with running mobil 1 full synthetic oil you are completely fine. Can you see on the top of the rear diff if the governor are has been drilled out to it just moves freely on the govner rode coming out of the transaxle? If you could post pictures this would help see what is going on.

So the only issue you are really having is its running to fast no other noise coming from rear end? If anything I would suggest changing the rear transfluid and see if anything drains out that shows signs of abnormal wear but your rear end should be fine. You just gotta figure out your governor if you want it hooked up.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Governor or not, you should be able to run slow by going lightly on the accelerator pedal. Look at both cables: pedal to governor arm and governor arm to carburetor. Yes the governor could be disabled or damaged and not "govern" the speed, but it should only come into play when you're running more or less pedal to the metal. Yes that '07 YDRA has a different rear end than earlier models, but it's also a very popular and long running model.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #9
Ruskin Golf
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Im going to go get the cart today, and see what he says and ill keep better detail. ill post pictures of the governor too.
thanks guys,
Old 03-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

A bad rear end won't cause the cart to run to fast.

A disabled governor will "allow" the cart to have more ground speed.

If it runs good, just don't put your foot all the way down.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i bought a lemon, needing some help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha