lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2020, 05:23 PM   #11
BigDaddy325
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1991 EZGO No Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtjl View Post
Pouring is fine, it just has to keep the bowl filled when its running. I suspected that perhaps it was emptying the bowl and not filling it fast enough which would explain why it run well for the first few minutes, then seem to bog down after. These fuel pumps operate on crankcase pressure so they dont have a lot of pressure.

Here is what I would do if someone brought it to me and described the symptoms you have mentioned:

1. Put in neutral and try the choke when it bogs. If that doesnt help I would,

2. Try some new plugs. Your current ones likely got fouled up when the valves were out of adjustment. If that doesnt help I would,

3. Disconnect the throttle linkage and open the throttle by hand to ensure it is opening enough. If that doesnt help I would,

4. Jury rig up a small bottle of gas and a fuel line a feed the carb manually through gravity to ensure the pump isnt starving the bowl on the carb. If that doesnt help I would,

5. Try adjusting the carb. It should have a screw on the top underneath a plastic cover that pops off. Run it in to a soft seat, then out 1 1/2 turns to start and adjust from there.

Before you do all of that, you may want to measure your drive belt. As cart around said, it could be worn out too. It should be 1 3/16 wide. Thats an easy thing to check.

If all of this fails, you likely have a clutch problem.
Sorry for the delay, haven't been back to my parents cottage where the golf cart lives. When choking it while running it kills the engine. Brand new plugs. it's bogging much less now on flat ground (running it without the airbox for the time being), but still can't make it up hills. Will try the manual gas trick tomorrow when I'm back out there.
BigDaddy325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #12
newtjl
Gone Wild

Check the throttle opening first. To me, thats kind of what it sounds like. Coincidentally, I just repaired one like that this week. It was a little sluggish. The owner had recently replaced the carb. The throttle linkage is adjustable. Shorten it to open the carb more, lengthen to open it less. It appeared to me that the throttle wasnt really opening enough. I shortened the linkage, then took it out for a drive and then 18 holes. Runs good now.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #13
BigDaddy325
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Check the throttle opening first. To me, thats kind of what it sounds like. Coincidentally, I just repaired one like that this week. It was a little sluggish. The owner had recently replaced the carb. The throttle linkage is adjustable. Shorten it to open the carb more, lengthen to open it less. It appeared to me that the throttle wasnt really opening enough. I shortened the linkage, then took it out for a drive and then 18 holes. Runs good now.
Great, will give that a try tomorrow. I really appreciate the help!
Old 05-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
BigDaddy325
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Great, will give that a try tomorrow. I really appreciate the help!
Old 05-20-2020, 08:15 AM   #15
BigDaddy325
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
No dice.

I shortened the throttle linkage and made sure it was opening as much as possible, same problem. I also rigged up a gravity-fed gas tank directly to the carb, still nothing.

Like I said before, it runs great for the first 5 minutes but then runs like ****. To prove that, after letting it sit I immediately took it down a steep hill and brought it all the way back up no problem. When I tried it again, I couldn't make it up the hill.

I just don't understand how it could be clutch related if it runs like a top for the first 5 minutes.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO