lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
Dakarm34
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo gas - new bad starter / generator? Humming

Hey everyone. I have a mid 80s Ezgo gas marathon that recently started acting up, no start condition, just a hum. Micro switch clicks, solenoid clicks, then just a worrying buzz or humming noise. Starter generator Voltage regulator and solenoid are new. All connection points and grounds have been sanded to ensure good contact. The 630cca battery is two months old and tested yesterday at the local auto parts store, it’s good. 12 Volts everywhere except at F1 and F2. 1-2 volts at them. When I remove F1 or F2 from its post I’m back at 12 volts. When I touch it it sparks and humming. No bueno. I put the old starter generator back on and I get the same results. I disconnected the voltage regulator And no difference. Wondering if my original and new starter generator are bad. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks and I look forward to being a member here.

RJ
Clemmons, NC
Dakarm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
Dakarm34
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Ezgo gas - new bad starter / generator? Humming

I found a document that showed how to bench test the starter generator and both my old and the new unit were bad, no movement.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

With the starter connected in the cart, put the lever in forward.

Take jumper cables, and connect the positive battery post to F2 on the starter. Then jump the negative battery post to A1. That should turn the starter.

If it does, remove the jumper cable from F2, and connect it to the solenoid lug that connects to the battery. Step on the pedal, and see if it starts. If so, replace the positive battery cable.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:42 PM   #4
Dakarm34
Not Yet Wild

No dice. Just humming. So it’s bad then. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2020, 11:09 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Or something in your forward reverse switch is bad.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
Dakarm34
Not Yet Wild

So the replacement starter generator arrived. I swapped the pulley to my larger pulley and installed it. I took the time to wire the voltage regulator correctly. It was wired to the back posted of the starter generator. I installed it to the solenoid as the schematic stated and only the df wire is connected to the starter generator. For the first time ever the voltage display on the dash was between 13.5 up to a quick peak of 15 volts. The voltage regulator was very hot and the battery voltage was down to 10. I must have a shirt somewhere.

Tags
ezgo, generator, humming, noise, starter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO