lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Where did these metal shavings come from?

Hello Gang,

This thread is Part B of one I started two months ago. With the help of some great forum members I was able to overcome Part A of my problem (Removing a tapered, keyed, brake drum)

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=168287

Here is the skinny:

I recently purchased a 2006 CC Precedent with an ACG H3 body kit on it sporting 15 inch wheels.

On my first real test drive the brakes suddenly locked up while in motion (I don’t remember if I was accelerating.) I could not push or drive the cart forward.

I put it in reverse and drove 5 feet, then was able to then drive forward. At that point I began to hear a rubbing/dragging sound on the passenger side.

I got the cart home, jacked it up to access the situation/damage.

Immediately I noticed two things.

1) One axle bolt was missing (see photo)
2) Some metal shavings were falling out of the brake drum. (See photo)

Logic told me the loose axle bolt was chewing up the inside of the drum and causing the metal shavings to appear.

Unfortunately it took a little time to figure out the brake drum was not an OEM 2006 CC Precedent brake set up. Likely it is an Ez-Go tapered/keyed brake drum.

After 2 months, and waiting for a special brake drum puller from England I was able to get the brake drum off.

Much to my surprise the brake drum was clean on the inside, no scratches, and the axle bolt that fell into the drum looked pretty much intact (see photo).

My question for the group is where should I look for the source of the metal shavings?

Notice their unique shape in the photo. They almost look like there is some machining to them.
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default More photos

More photos of the brake assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (136.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0D8E976D-B674-4770-BACC-C0484599F99B.jpg (198.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg FAC94712-EF2A-4831-BCF3-891DB8EBC94E.jpg (229.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 7F67AE53-5A5B-4064-B98D-3A178F6CB822.jpg (196.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3FBB4308-5DDA-40C5-8E7B-40BAD6EF9DD7.jpg (159.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Where did these metal shavings come from?

How does the other side look?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
How does the other side look?
I haven’t pulled that wheel off. While banging on the passenger brake drum some non metallic dirt/debris also fell out of the driver side drum. Nothing alarming or unusual.

The cart is at another location, I’ll be there in a few days.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
rowlands57
Gone Wild
Club Car

The 'shrapnel' almost looks like the roller pins from a bearing of some sort. Not sure if there is a bearing anywhere in that setup that uses pins vs. roller balls? If not perhaps they are sheared splines from a shaft?
rowlands57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Shavings from inside of the drum maybe.
Did you remove the brake holder springs and pins? If not those are missing or were ground up.

Seems like someone has been toying with that cart a lot. Is there an ID tag on the axle somewhere?
Can you post a pic of the whole axle? Maybe someone can identify it. You’ll need to know what it came from if you need to order any parts for it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

My next step is to remove/clean the shoes and replace springs. I’ll inspect for damage behind the shoes.

American Custom Golf Carts (ACG) takes the CC cart and modifies it.

As evidenced by the tapered/keyed brake drum
Old 10-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Someone certainly modified it. They put standard bolts on a metric axle! That’s blaspheme! I hope you don’t ever have to take that apart. I’m kind of afraid of what else you might find.

How about a pic of the other side of the housing? Kinda hard to tell, but it might be an older Kawasaki axle. It would have a “Club Car” Logo cast on it up near the motor, or Made in Japan somewhere.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #9
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’ll definitely inspect that area when I get to the cart

Great insight. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:03 AM   #10
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Source of the metal shavings FOUND

I finally had time to get up close with my cart after the ordeal of removing the brake drum.

Upon closer inspection I noticed some things I missed initially and likely found the source of the metal shavings.

With the help of a neighbor familiar with golf carts we determined the sequence of events that led up to and resulted in the disabling of my cart and resulted in the metal shavings.

1) Several of the four axle bolts were not sufficiently torqued down. One of the nuts worked itself off despite (likely) having a lock washer installed. The other three bolts/nuts had lock washers.

2) The bolt fell inside the drum and wedged itself between the brake drum and the trailing brake shoe. Likely this is the reason the cart would not initially drive forward.

3) Putting the cart in reverse freed the axle bolt, but in the process bent part of the brake shoe in a way it contacted the inner part of the brake drum surface. (See Photo)

4) The part of the brake shoe in contact with the brake drum scored the inner part of the brake drum. (See Photo)

5) Likely the metal shavings described earlier in this post originated from the metal part of the brake shoe in contact with the drum.

6) Closer inspection of the rest of the brake assembly did not reveal any additional damage.

I reinstalled the brake shoes with new springs. Tomorrow I will replace the brake drum and wheel and hopefully put an end to this saga. If everything checks out I will either turn the drum or buy a new one.

Thanks to all who participated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car