lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Another voltage relay question

Working on a 2007 CC DS 48 IQ. It looks like it has a factory light kit on it with brake lights, turn signal, and horn. It has a small black box mounted to the crossmember behind the batteries that hold the fuses. I can put 12 volts to the red wire coming out of the box and ground the black wire in the harness and all the lights will work.

It has a 48 volt relay behind the dash wired in to the cart ( all looks factory).
What is the relay for?

First cart I have worked on that had the factory light kit on it.
Goober11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #2
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Another voltage relay question

I don't know that particular cart but almost certainly the relay is there so that it will turn the voltage reducer on and off safely with the key.

The key is not designed to carry all the current that the reducer needs so it just carries the smaller current needed to turn the relay on. The relay then carries the larger current to the reducer.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #3
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
I don't know that particular cart but almost certainly the relay is there so that it will turn the voltage reducer on and off safely with the key.

The key is not designed to carry all the current that the reducer needs so it just carries the smaller current needed to turn the relay on. The relay then carries the larger current to the reducer.
I have looked the cart over and do not see a voltage reducer any were. That does not mean it did not come with one. I got the cart not running and the PO did not seem to know much about it it came with the house he just purchased.The wires were cut at the fuse block ( red an black) don’t know what else may have been taken off. I will have to start tracing wire. I was going to install a voltage reducer but I would like to use what I can on the factory wiring.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check with David at Revolution Golf Cars, one of our site sponsors. He'll be able to tell you what you've got and he should be able to sell you a genuine voltage reducer if you want to keep it original.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

I will touch base with him Monday. I get most of my parts from him. Quality parts and excellent customer service.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #6
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober11 View Post
I will touch base with him Monday. I get most of my parts from him. Quality parts and excellent customer service.

I notice you are from Richmond VA. When I was working (now retired) I used to travel to Charlottesville VA every six months. It was like my second home. I still have friends there.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:58 PM   #7
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

I notice you are from Richmond VA. When I was working (now retired) I used to travel to Charlottesville VA every six months. It was like my second home. I still have friends there.
Yes I have been here my whole life. There has been a lot of changes in the many years here but it still feels like home.

Retired also. 45 years gas and diesel mechanic.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #8
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Anybody know if this cart came with a voltage regulator of some type?
Old 12-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Check with David at Revolution Golf Cars, one of our site sponsors. He'll be able to tell you what you've got and he should be able to sell you a genuine voltage reducer if you want to keep it original.
Got in touch with Dave this morning. That relay is for the brake lights so they will only work when the key is on. Now I just need to install a voltage reducer.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:40 PM   #10
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober11 View Post
Got in touch with Dave this morning. That relay is for the brake lights so they will only work when the key is on. Now I just need to install a voltage reducer.
Make sure that you get a 5-wire reducer, then you won't need another relay.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car