lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2021, 04:53 PM   #1
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default CC DS 2003 - Hot Motor

A friend has a 2003 CC DS, serial number AQ0316-376185. It's stock except for the lights, 2ga cables on the batteries (along with the one that goes thru OBC to controller but not motor cables), and D&D Motor model 170-506-0002. Since he purchased it a few years ago, the motor has always made a whine sound. I just figured it to be a symptom of a high speed motor. Well now when he drives the cart, he only gets about 5 miles before the batteries are depleted and the motor is too hot to touch. We've tested his 2 year old T-875's both still and under load and they all appear to be good.

I will add that he says when the motor gets real hot (too hot to place his hand on) he is at WOT. He also says that the motor doesn't get as hot when driving slow but battery life is still suspect.

I'm thinking he may have a bad motor bearing or brushes. Has anyone else dealt with this?

TIA
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2021, 09:46 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: CC DS 2003 - Hot Motor

Just how hot is the motor getting? Use a contact or infrared thermometer to check it. I'm not sure what the maximum motor heat temperature should be, but 140 degrees will burn your hand. And this is a normal operating temperature.

I would suspect the original motor wires which are 6 gauge. The two gauge on the rest of the cart can provide more amperage to the motor than the motor wires can handle.

Battery drainage that fast is an issue that may or may not be related.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

The cables were changed shortly after he purchased the cart so the cart has been operating fine with them for a while. His battery range prior to recently was around 18-20 miles.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Make sure the brakes are releasing and the cart rolls free. After that it could be the brushes are worn out and not making good contact so generating heat.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car