lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Dawgone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Installing Reverse Camera (36v-PDS)

Hi Ladies and Gents...(First post )

I've purchased this radio for a 08 EZGO Sport ST-2 for the shear cheapness and gobs of features...
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_110V801....html?tp=20217

And being that it can accept a reverse cam, and also being, that it's a PITA to hook up to a trailer with the dump bed, I've decided to install a reverse/backup camera...

Is there a way, that I can get 12v only when switched into reverse? I could always just use a switch to turn it off/on... But I think it would be alot cooler if it automatically switched...

I thought that I could just tap into the reverse buzzer(grounding accordingly for 12v)... But for whatever reason, when I test the wires at the buzzer, I always have 36v +/-, regardless of FNR or key switch position...

I then tried to just tap into the FNR switch and use the reverse pole(grounded for 12V) and while it actually worked, when I gave throttle, it scrambled the radio's monitor... It also stayed powered on, regardless of key position... As in, it would drain on the batteries, if left in reverse, even if key was switched to off..

PS... if any admin crosses this thread, how can I go about changing my username to "DawgBone" instead of Dawgone? My keyboard stinks, and misses keystrokes quite often...
Dawgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Dawgone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Installing Reverse Camera (36v-PDS)

Dang... no takers...

Well, figured I'll post some pics of my rig while I'm here...

I installed a state of charge meter and relocated the FNR switch to a much better location.....

The radio and cam... I just held the camera's leads on the switch for the picture... Still need to try to figure out why tapping into the switch causes issues...

Old 05-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
rusty1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

cool ride
rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
ChevyRacing75
Maybe This Weekend :)

Club Car

That looks realy good. Wish I could help with your problem. I hate wires!
ChevyRacing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
fbm
Not Yet Wild

I cant help either... But wanted to say you have a nice cart.
I like the new location for the F&R button. I bet it is more comfortable
down there as opposed to the dash. I never thought of that.
fbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Dawgone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone for the kind words.... I hope to eventually get the reverse camera thing worked out. Where there is a will, there usually is a way... I guess if worse comes to worse, I'll just have to use a switch and manually turn it on. Although I would rather not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm View Post
I like the new location for the F&R button. I bet it is more comfortable
down there as opposed to the dash. I never thought of that.
Thanks... It's very comfortable there, and makes getting out of tight places much easier. It looks a little goofy being that it's off center, but I wanted it to be brainless and to be able to just drop our hands down to find...

Being that I was adding the SOC meter, it worked out well for me. As I just traced back the original wires under the seat.. I cut and extended them to run to the switch in it's new location... I used the existing wires to wire up the state of charge meter to 36v...
Old 05-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
rusty1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

what is the voltage on the f/r switch
rusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Dawgone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty1 View Post
what is the voltage on the f/r switch
I get 36v running through it...

When I hooked up the camera, I used a quick splice to the reverse pole, and grounded to the 2nd battery in the series, making it 12V....

I can take more pics and some vids of what I've done and what I'm up against a little later... If it helps... I'm a boob when it comes to electrical stuff
Old 05-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
fbm
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Thanks... It's very comfortable there, and makes getting out of tight places much easier. It looks a little goofy being that it's off center, but I wanted it to be brainless and to be able to just drop our hands down to find...

Thanks Dawgone. The tight spaces is what I always have trouble with.
F-R,,,, F-R for ever. Lean up,, lean back.. I will take the switch in an
easy location any day. Thanks for the idea !
fbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think your problem is because of interferance caused by the controller and motor, and the power draw on your switch and wiring? I know it would be somewhat of a problem but I think you are going to HAVE TO install another seperate battery to power your unit, AND ALSO shield all wiring going to your camera, AND the camera itself as its SO CLOSE to motor area. You could use your switch to power a relay that turns the battery on. I use another 36 volt solenoid ( WITH DIODE ) to act as a relay and connect it to my normal dash switch. I use a small UB 12350 handicapped scooter battery that is sealed and can be mounted in any position.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, camera, radio, reverse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO