lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Dawgone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Installing Reverse Camera (36v-PDS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
I think your problem is because of interferance caused by the controller and motor, and the power draw on your switch and wiring? I know it would be somewhat of a problem but I think you are going to HAVE TO install another seperate battery to power your unit, AND ALSO shield all wiring going to your camera, AND the camera itself as its SO CLOSE to motor area. You could use your switch to power a relay that turns the battery on. I use another 36 volt solenoid ( WITH DIODE ) to act as a relay and connect it to my normal dash switch. I use a small UB 12350 handicapped scooter battery that is sealed and can be mounted in any position.
You know, I was just thinking about some kind of relay, but was unsure of how to go about it... I think you're 100% right in all aspects...

I was planning to eventually rig up a 12v converter so that my first two batteries wouldn't get beat up on... But I noticed alot of others recommend a seperate battery... Is there a certain advantage to using a seperate battery over a converter? I'm only on 5 acres, and shouldn't have any issues with running out of juice...

Thanks a ton OLD MEC... This gets me thinking and opens up alot more options...
Dawgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

On using a 12 volt converter you will run into the problem of power DROPS when using throttle. Any accessorys used loose power and in your case more so it could do damage to you camera unit? That type of electronics are VERY POWER SENSATIVE??
I had problems with lights and radios dimming out and in one case the FM and CD PLAYER was ruined by voltage fluctuations.
I WOULD SAY STICK WITH EXTRA BATTERY.
I would add a Doide to your extra solenoid because it will protect the solid state controller from damage and also help lengthen the life of you solenoid contacts. In my own case I added a ( RESISTOR ) as well as a diode to my solenoid and had problems with feed back to my LED lights. So I called the people at ALLTRAX and they said that
"You dont have to have an additional resistor as long as there is one on your primary solenoid"
I would be happy to help you with wiring ( IF NEEDED ) for your extra battery and controls and with a simple way of charging the extra battery.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #13
Dawgone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Awesome!!! Makes perfect sense....
Thanks again.... I'll see what I can do, and may take you up on the help...

Stay tuned....
Old 05-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Hook a seperate selonoid up to the reverse wiring of the switch that will have the 12 volts running the camera. There should be no interferance that way because the two are seperate.
When you flip the cart to reverse it will activate the selonoid which will let 12 volts pass through the 2 big terminals and the camera will work.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Dawgone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, I think I finally got everything I need to get this going and I think I MAY has this right in my head... What I thnking, is that I use the solenoid to turn on all 12V accessories, and once I get everything on it's own 12V battery, then I can somehow use a regular automotive relay for the reverse camera. Which I'm not sure that's what I'm going to do, as my first step is to get everything 12V on my 12V battery for right now... My cart came with a 12V circuit(for lights I assume), that stretched across two batteries in the pack. And I intend to get those ooff, and onto the 12V battery as well...

[EDIT] LOL... I just realized that the battery I got is the same exact battery as OldMec... I honestly went in for an Odessey battery and charger(awesome batteries), but they were out of the size I needed... We visited a couple, and odd enough, came up with the UB12350...

Anyhoo... this is what I'm shooting after for just the 12V... Please chime in if anything looks dumb...

The battery guy at Battery World put me on this, although I'm not sure it'll charge it fast enough(overnight)... I did like the quick connect though...

The 12V fuse block... It wasn't riveted very good and just fell off when I went to pull the fuse to see what size it was... I'm thinking about finding some kind of weather proof box to install both the fuse block and solenoid..
Old 06-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Couldn't you just rig up a 12v micro switch to your F&R switch... ad an extra one, so when you switch into reverse you get 12v for the cam?
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #17
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

DAWGONE Some thoughts?
#1-Strange the amp hour rating on my battery is 45, and your only shows 35 amp hour rating?? Maybe difference in manufacturer?
#2- Unable to read output on battery maintainer? you will have to leave it on whenever you are not using cart I THINK? What you have is a ( MAINTAINER ) not a charger. I use the 10 amp setting on my 12 volt charger to charge mine over night. And only have to charge twice a month for my use.
#3- If you have any LED lights you dont need to INSTALL THE RESISTOR on you solenoid, as it will feed through enough to turn your LEDs on dimmly? I talked with Alltrax people and they said
" that as long as I have a resistor on regular solenoid you dont have to have one on extra solenoid, BUT MUST HAVE THE DIODE" to protect your controller.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #18
Dawgone
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

How do you install the diode? Does it sit between the small post on the solenoid? And lastly, gray goes to + correct? The local stealership mech told me gray to +, but I read something on the net saying opposite..
My cart doesn't have one on it's stock solenoid...

I'm not sure on the battery charger either... I explained in good detail about what I was doing, and that is what the battery guru pointed me to... He seemed pretty positive about it, and honestly, he could have made more money off me, as I was looking at much bigger/better.... I've used a bigger version for my old Ski-Doos, which was just a maintainer...This is the model...
http://batterytender.carshopinc.com/...70473/021-0123

If the battery can't hold up to what I need, then maybe I can bring it back, and go with what I was really wanting... The Odessey setup... They're pricey, but you cannot kill them... and if you do happen to, they'll replace it..
Old 06-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #19
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

According to the Alltrax literature the Diode goes between the two small posts on solenoid and with the ( colored band ) toward the battery side of solenoid. There recomendation for any contactor 200 amp and above is 1N5408 diode. IF IN DOUBT CALL OR EMAIL ALLTRAX AND CONFIRM FOR CORRECT INFO, I DO OFTEN with different brand of carts.
As to the color of wire used I dont have a wiring chart showing colors, so you will have to check it out with your meter to confirm.
Some of the newer carts have the diode and in some cases I think even the resistor built right in solenoid. Not sure when this came about but would check with the "STEALERSHIP" to confirm. I like that word, may I use it some times?
I guess you will have to try the maintainer and see if it will charge your battery up fast enough for your use. Remember to break the new battery in just like you do with a cart battery for loger life and higher output, Mine took about 10-15 charges before it was up tp full par.
I think you will be surprised at how long between charges your battery goes. I did go full bore and added a amp and volt meter ( AUTO TYPE ) on my dash to moniter 12 volt conditions. Also I installed a marine type heavier duty power outlet on dash to charge my battery. The stock power outlet didnt seem heavy enough for 10 amp charging so I went heavier duty with a 15 amp rated unit. By putting a ( plug in on charger cables ) all I have to do is plug in and walk away. When in doubt GO HEAVIER DUTY.
NOTE WITH SOLENOID add a 5 amp fuse between switch and solenoid to protect against over loads as I find the wiring on most carts very borderline? In fact when I rewired my cart I changed over to 14 guage and fused everything accordingly.
Not being that familiar with Oddessey batterys I looked up there site and couldnt find anything but ( STARTER TYPE BATTERYS ) they say deap cycle but that not like a golf cart battery? Did I miss the application of golf cart batterys on there site? I have a list of batterys brands and sizes for ( solar storage ) and dont find Odessey on list, maybe an omission??
Old 06-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #20
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I think something is not right in your scematic it shows + to minus at the key?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, camera, radio, reverse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO