lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2021, 06:44 PM   #11
Technobuyer
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2004 Precedent won't charge... I've tried usual things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Does he new charger behave the same way? If so then it’s not the charger, you still have a connection issue such as corroded or loose red charge lead (on pack positive) or bad connection of the black charge lead to B- on controller, or faulty OBC.
Yes, the new charger acts exactly like the old one. Maybe I should just order a new receptacle and see what that does. The wiring all looks solid at the battery terminals, OBC and controller. The OBC could be faulty, but it's a new one I just bought, and it's acting exactly like the one I took out.

Perplexing.

I'm going to replace the batteries, since, with a dead one, that's something I gotta do anyway. Maybe that'll make a difference.

I hate to punt and take it to the shop, and I'm now invested in finding the solution. I'm learning lots about the cart in doing this. Plus, around here the shops are expensive.... Thank you so much for the help, I'll keep working at it.
Technobuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2021, 07:03 PM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I would cut the connector off the red wire and cut a few inches off the wire to make sure the copper stranding is clean and not all green and corroded under the insulation.

Also make sure to check all of the battery cable ends. Any that look discolored may have corrosion under the insulation which could cause a bad connection.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:20 PM   #13
Technobuyer
Not Yet Wild

Messed around with it a little bit more today. Was able to get the reverse buzzer, and some backwards movement when pushing on the pedal. Putting rocker switch in forward, would only yield a couple clunks, but no movement. Took apart rocker switch for fun, put back together. No difference. After a while, I couldn't get the reverse buzzer anymore. And no movement either.

I talked to golf cart shop, and they are thinking maybe it's the solenoid or resistor?

But, tbh, pretty much everything else they suggested, you've already suggested. Head scratcher.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #14
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Be patient, Fairtax will talk you thru this.....you can spend a ton of money just replacing parts. He's good at helping and when you find that one bad wire, you'll be grateful you didn't blow a bunch of money on guessing.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #15
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

The reverse buzzer is a good troubleshooting tool...Leave the cart in reverse and start moving wires around for a bad connection, especially the controller and obc and see if the buzzer starts working...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #16
Technobuyer
Not Yet Wild

Update....

Drove up to a most helpful cart shop in my town, and talked to some very knowledgeable people. Metro Golf Carts in Fort Worth. Their parts guy, Scott, was about the best I've come across in customer service!

If a plug is not allowed, I apologize. But seriously, above and beyond the call, spent lots of time helping me on the phone and trouble shooting with me.

I decided to(though he tried to talk me out of it):

1) Get new batteries

2) Replace MCOR-2

3) Replace rocker switch

4) Replace solenoid

Previously replaced with no result were the OBC and Charger.

So far, it moves forward and backward. Lights come on. And, most importantly, appears to be taking a charge from the charger.

None of these things were happening prior. Progress!

Not ready to call it fixed just yet, but I gotta be on the right track.

Why just throw parts at it? I'm not super patient, don't have alot of time off, and the cart store is pretty far away. I just made a command decision to replace anything short of the controller that might be causing a problem.

We'll see how the charging goes, and then move on to driving.

Thanks for all the help ya'll!
Old 03-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #17
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ave you replaced the known bad battery yet? Keep in mind these batteries are wired in series. The current has to flow through ALL the batteries, including the bad one . If that bad one can't pass more than 4 or 5 amps, that's all the charger cab put through the whole pack.
meimk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #18
Technobuyer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Ave you replaced the known bad battery yet? Keep in mind these batteries are wired in series. The current has to flow through ALL the batteries, including the bad one . If that bad one can't pass more than 4 or 5 amps, that's all the charger cab put through the whole pack.
Yes. I replaced the 4 old batteries with 4 brand new batteries this afternoon. Still charging and keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:15 PM   #19
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Well that’s everything that would matter for the charging circuit, assuming you also replaced the cables.

The controller has nothing to do with charging, so unless it was damaged or otherwise failed for some reason you are good to go now.

New batteries will not have full range right away, and the will bubbles and off-gas quite a bit for the first few charge cycles. Don’t run them for long distances for a few charge cycles so they can break in properly. Run for 20-30 minutes and then recharge and after 5-6 cycles like that then use them however you want.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #20
Technobuyer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Well that’s everything that would matter for the charging circuit, assuming you also replaced the cables.

The controller has nothing to do with charging, so unless it was damaged or otherwise failed for some reason you are good to go now.

New batteries will not have full range right away, and the will bubbles and off-gas quite a bit for the first few charge cycles. Don’t run them for long distances for a few charge cycles so they can break in properly. Run for 20-30 minutes and then recharge and after 5-6 cycles like that then use them however you want.
Batteries charged to 100% this am. Got it all put back together, and took it for a spin. Success!

Fairtax4me, thanks for all your help with this. Just having someone to ask questions got me started down the road of fixing it myself.

It would have cost me 2x as much, and been in the shop for 3 weeks at least had I not gone this route.

I sincerely appreciate it!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car