lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #11
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: PDS owners- DONT buy chips!!!

As much as I agree with what is being said, and no knock on anyone, there are way too many people that this kind of redneck upgrade could harm and I would not advise anyone to try it.
If you want to make variations of the chip, fine, get the right connector but don't jamb wires in and secure with zip ties.
I know that the experienced here like to find easy solutions for common issues and pass them on to the general forum. In this case I think is wrong, no matter how many disclaimers, to let this advice out to some who can hardly use a meter, or even know what one is for that matter.
It just is not in the best interest of the well meaning, no clue DIY guy, who may end up frying a controller.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hey! I'll try to be careful .......
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #13
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: PDS owners- DONT buy chips!!!

|
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I never realized that our readers were that...ignorant? I guess I give the average person more credit than they deserve. You see, I don't put myself on a pedestal of "I am smarter than you" I consider myself of average intelligence. If I could do it with confidence, I thought some others may have enough brains to copy it. or not. People that are as dumb as what you are describing don't own carts. The bottom line is that the upgrade "chips" are just jumper wires installed into the plug. Don't pay for what you can do yourself. Or, if you are dumb, have no self confidence and don't know what wires are, don't buy a chip, pay someone $50.00-100.00 for a "performance upgrade".
This is about sharing information and we SHOW upgrades of motors and controllers all the time. People going to 72v and all the other stuff that is NOT recommended and can potentially fry the whole cart with the wrong connection. There is absolutely no difference in those threads and this.
Unless, of course you sell Freedom Chips for $50.00 ea.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
chr8189
Not Yet Wild

tony,

I was thinking the same thing as you. I just looked at the "chip" on ebay and said, thats just a wire. I agree with you. You never said there was no harm, and your only getting knocked on by poeple why try to make a living off this kind of stuff. Down here where I am, i have had bad luck with dealers, meaning ripped off. Good thinking. Thanks.
chr8189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #16
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So far that jumper is still in that cart and still working.
If one person (you) can use that and save a couple bucks, then we did good.
Thanks for the kind words and enjoy the new "chip"
Old 10-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #17
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I hate it when some shady arse theiven dealer wants to charge $300 or even $50 for a "Chip"...its NOT EVEN A CHIP! Its a $2 plug with 3 cents worth of wire! Thats just plain theft if you ask me. I was talkin to a guy one day and he was tellin me he had to go by his dealers to get his chip reprogrammed and it was costing him $300 to do it. (TXT)...well needless to say I made a new freind and the dealer lost his cash cow.

I can see the labor rate plus part being $50 but $50 for just the plug is theft in my eyes.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #18
chr8189
Not Yet Wild

Selling these chips at $1 a pice is 190% profit. Its crazy people are paying 30-50 dollars.
chr8189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

An educated consumer is a SMART consumer.
gornoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #20
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When I first heard the term "chip" I thought it was a small board or something they had to install into the computer, and then boot it. When I actually saw one I laughed and thought about becoming one of the chip dealers. Most of the carts even come with a blank plug, the holes are filled with silicone! I could reprogram your "chip" for .03 cents worth of wire and charge whatever I want. Unfortunately, I have to sleep at night and that wouldn't fly with me.
I'm glad to see a positive response. It's also good to see one of the theives lose the cash cow. Thanks guys.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO