lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Default Re: 48V solenoid on a 36V

The answer is no. If you have a 36volt system and put a 48v solenoid you will not move.
Solenoids activate i. e. engage at their rated voltage. Thus if you are running 36 volts with a 48v solenoid the solenoid will never engage or complete the circuit for your cart to run
There are multi voltage solenoids. Make sure you get the right one
I believe I'm correct on this, if not others will give you better info.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntin4fun View Post
Thanks G man. the local EZGO shop says they do it on all thier upgrades. They use the 48 as thier HD solenoid What do you think?
Are they doing this because they don't want to put out the bucks to do it right? I've never heard of this before, nor would I try it (personal preference) - Just drop in a W/R 586 and be done with it

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #13
Gman757
Not Yet Wild

If you are installing a 400 amp controller you should use a heavy duty solenoid even at 36 volts. I put this in another post..... you just change the resistor when you switch from 36v to 48v. This is the one I used and it is rated for 400 amps. Specify voltage when ordering for correct resistor or just order both resistors at the same time.
Gman757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman757 View Post
If you are installing a 400 amp controller you should use a heavy duty solenoid even at 36 volts. I put this in another post..... you just change the resistor when you switch from 36v to 48v. This is the one I used and it is rated for 400 amps. Specify voltage when ordering for correct resistor or just order both resistors at the same time.
Are you advising for a DCS Cart ? He asked if he should upgrade his solenoid. Not his controller, the solenoid on a DCS cart?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #15
Gman757
Not Yet Wild

He asked if it would work. I have a PDS cart and I installed a heavy duty 400 amp solenoid rated for 48 volts and ran it at 36 volts with the correct resistor for 36 volts. I later upgraded the cart to 48 volts and just had to change the resistor. If I am correct he said he may upgrade to 48 volts so why not buy a solenoid that will do both? I am no expert but I know what I did and was advised to do it that way by Carl at evdrives.com and it worked flawlessly.
Don't know jack about DCS carts so it may not be the same....like I said my is PDS.
Gman757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #16
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

It will work, the voltage difference between 36 and 48 is not enough to make the solenoid not close. However, a 36 volt car pulls more amps to close the solenoid, which is why you need a good higher amp 48 volt solenoid. Have seen lower amp 48 volt solenoids on 36 volt cars and they will get stuck in the closed position, and then you have a bad 48 volt solenoid on a 36 volt car.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:30 AM   #17
Jamesdhartley
Not Yet Wild

I was wondering the same thing about a 48v reversing contactor on my 36v system. Is this basically the same ? As a solenoid. Let me know what you find out as well
Jamesdhartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:55 AM   #18
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesdhartley View Post
I was wondering the same thing about a 48v reversing contactor on my 36v system. Is this basically the same ? As a solenoid. Let me know what you find out as well
This conversation is 14 years old!! Its always best to start a new thread about these things. Often the relays will work with less voltage they may just not be reliable. you can get the proper 36v reversing contactors for $65 from sparkytron..

Zombie thread!
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO