lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
KSlocum
Not Yet Wild

Default battery or charger problem

thought I had revived the batteries. When I first got the cart they were dead and I used 12v charger and charged them 2 at a time. Put a automotive load tester on each battery and they tested good. let the grankids run the cart around the yard until the cart would hardly move, that took about 20 min. When I plugged the golf cart battery charger it only stayed on for about a minute or two and cut off. Tried running the cart but it hardly moved. Put the automotive charger on them 2 at a time and charged them for several hours and got about 20 minutes run time out of them. It is an 86 club car 36V. Sounds like they are only getting a surface charge unless the charger is messed up. Thought I would run this by the experts before investing in new batteries. Is there any way I could test the charger?
any help would be appreciated.
KSlocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Default Re: battery or charger problem

You really need to check them with a meter to be sure, but it doesn't look good right now.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
KSlocum
Not Yet Wild

I did put my digital meter on them and for an instant it read 36.4 volts. The meter then died. I don't think it had anything to do with the cart but now I will need to get anew meter and try again
Old 04-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

36.4 is EMPTY ..... I doubt those batteries are any good but, starting out from empty and running until it won't go would finish off a good pack

Golf cart batteries should not be drawn down below 50% capacity. AND new batteries require special break-in procedures, found on this website ...... see the chart below ~ good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batterytable1-1.jpg (88.7 KB, 21 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Time for a new set.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
KSlocum
Not Yet Wild

I was pretty sure that I am going to have to bite the bullet and go for a new set. You guys have pretty much confirmed that. My only other concern is that when I got the 36.4 reading, I put it on charge and it only charged for a bout a minute and shut off. Is the charger ok? Thanks again for all the input.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

It should have charged longer than that. You might have 2 problems but you need to get proper power to the system first, then address if another problem exsists.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
KSlocum
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the replys. I have finally determined the problem. When I got the cart it had 4 6V batteries and one humongus 12V battery. I took the 12V out and put in 2 6V I thought I had revived from the Melex I got at the same time. When I went to try to revive the Melex I had to put those two batteries back in it and the 12V back in the CC. Put the battery charger on the CC and it charged for about 5 hours, telling me that the charger is good, (whew). Took it out for a ride and it went gangbusters. Checked the voltage when I came back and it was 36.7 . Charged the batteries in the Melex and got it to move with no other work to it. I know I have a couple of bad batteries, at least, but I know the cart works. It was a whole lot easier than the CC which I had to do a lot of work to. Thanks again for all the help. This is a great site, you can learn more than you ever wanted to know about golf carts here, lol. Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car