lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
bguill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New speed controller gets hot.

I just replaced my batteries and my speed controller burnt up. I replaced the controller today and ran my cart for about 3 min. When I parked it you could smell electrical. I plugged my cart in and the charger just clicks on and goes right back off. This happens ever 3 sec. Do I need to replace something else? What could be wrong?
bguill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New speed controller gets hot.

Welcome to BGW!
We are gonna need a list of info to wrap our minds around this one ....
Specific info on cart, batteries, controllers, and any modifications.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
bguill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It is a 1998 ez-go. The batteries are trojan and I think they are a t-150. The motor was replaced with an original motor. The speed controller is a rebulit ez-go. The where about 7 years old before I replaced them. I was told that is what caused my controller problem. I replaced the batteries Saturday and ran the cart for about 15 min and somke was coming from the controller. I took it off and it had something rattling in it. I replaced the controller today and ran it for a few min and I could smell something burning. I parked the cart because I did not want to burn the controller uo.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Is this a DCS cart? Does the cart have big tires and a rear seat? (Trojan T105 ) What is the battery pack voltage? Who is rebuilding your controllers? OR are they new?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 AM   #5
bguill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Not sure what a DCS is.. Sorry not that up to date on that. The cart has stock wheels and tires. There is no rear seat. I think it was a reman from curtis. I purchased it from a local ez-go dealer. I gave them the controller that was on it so they could match it up. I think it is a 36 volt. It had 3 logs on it and a five pen slide on white plastic. The controller hooked up the same way the old one did.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

First we have to ID your cart :

DCS will have a F&R lever behind the driver's knee and a run/tow switch on the enviromental cover on the controller. The backside of the f&R looks round like a hockey puck.

PDS carts will have a Tow/Run switch with toggle switch for F&R on the dash

SERIES carts will have a shift lever like the dcs cart down by your legs, but it will NOT have a tow/run switch. Also the actual F&R switch is in the corner by the controller and there is linkage from it to the lever in the center.....

WHich one is it?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
bguill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It is a DCS.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
bguill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry, it is a series. It only has the f&d down by your legs. There is no other switch on it.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
bguill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I think I might have figured out my problem. I ran my cart for about 2 min and started feeling for hot wires. Then I touched one of the lugs and burnt the tip of my finger. The wire was full of cracks on the underside of it. I will let you know if it fixes my problem.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
bguill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

FYI: I have a issue with a bad cable. There was a crack in the ubderside of the wire, which was not visible looking down on it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO