lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 old golf cart resister question

[QUOTE=scottyb;411030]Anybody running 48v in a resistor cart or a 5 solenoid cart has a lesson to learn sooner or later

The 12v booster battery can only come in at full pedal, the resistors aren't in the circuit. I also wired a contactor to bypass (parallel) the F/R, solenoid, speed selector board and speed resistors so those components are only running 1/2 the amps (or less) through.
I do appreciate the warning though.
Dennis
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I wasn't warning you ... just all the others who think they will follow.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #13
hearambulo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I dont understand the booster and Scotty b what exactly in the last post are u talking about can u explain in more depth and parts please or a diagram thanks
hearambulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Maybe Dennis will post a diagram and parts list of his booster set up.

My caution is to anyone who wants to run 48 volts through their resistor coils or 5 solenoid cart (early CC) These 36v components, including the V-glide, have not been designed to handle the heat of the 48 volt system... They will melt. We have pictures
What dennis is talking about is an extra battery that can be switched on at top end only. Or anytime you are running at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE because at WOT the resistor coils are out of the power to motor circuit.
If you use an additional 12v supply at any other throttle position you will have a meltdown of electrical components..... I hope this helps
Old 05-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #15
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Scotty, the older EZGO resistor carts don't have a V-Glide, they use a wiper board setup..

CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
Scotty, the older EZGO resistor carts don't have a V-Glide, they use a wiper board setup..

That's right. My answer was meant as a general blanket statement to cover the pre solid state controller carts.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #17
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That's right. My answer was meant as a general blanket statement to cover the pre solid state controller carts.
No problem, just clarifying for any newbies that come across this..
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #18
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I would like to see a diagram on the booster set up if some one has one. I am having a hard time laying it out in my mind. To much clutter and confusion up here. it's hard to keep things strai....Oh look butterflies!
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #19
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Maybe Dennis will post a diagram and parts list of his booster set up.

My caution is to anyone who wants to run 48 volts through their resistor coils or 5 solenoid cart (early CC) These 36v components, including the V-glide, have not been designed to handle the heat of the 48 volt system... They will melt. We have pictures
What dennis is talking about is an extra battery that can be switched on at top end only. Or anytime you are running at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE because at WOT the resistor coils are out of the power to motor circuit.
If you use an additional 12v supply at any other throttle position you will have a meltdown of electrical components..... I hope this helps
E-Z-GO1988
I can type and that is the extent of my computer skills. I would love to contribute pictures of my stock cart/upgrades as you all have done and I thoroughly appreciate but haven't taken the time to learn the procedure (I am easily frustrated when it comes to computer operation). The reason I upgraded the resistor cart this way rather than via controller upgrade was the cost and my minimal skill level with magic black boxes (controller).
Here are two links that got me started on my quest to somehow motivate my lazy Marathon resistor cart to manage hills!

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/extre...ler-boost.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...eory-work.html

I used the Czonka EV200 ($70 on EBay) and a Tennant 36v DPDT contactor also from EBay $125.
The Czonka is used to shunt the FNR, the solenoid, the speed board and the resistors. The actuating coil is attached to the high speed lug on the speed board so when the pedal is in full throttle the Czonka is engaged.
The Tennant contactor DPDT is used to engage the 12v booster battery as well as isolate (eliminate the backfeed/short circuit condition. A diode could be used here, I'm guessing)
I mounted a momentary pushbutton switch beside the FNR handle to actuate both the Czonka and the Tennant at full throttle condition only.
I am very happy with the results but as Scotty mentioned, my excitement may be short lived! Please read 'all posts by E-Z-Go1988' for more explanation. (I don't have many)
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #20
hearambulo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Last thing about this hole deal with this cart what about getting the motor reworked at plum quick any body Please ?????? for Speed
hearambulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO