lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Converting to (8) 6 volt batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Anyone know if there is a kit for doing this? I am in the middle of doing this to a cart that I decided to rebuild at the shop and was wondering if I just made a foolish move in having my welder pattern a "bolt on" kit for converting a cart?

Here's what I have done so far (please remember that this cart will have a whole new powerplant but I did have him pattern it in a way that an end user could retain all the stock electronics):
Everything looks excellent. I only have one question. Have you added some sort of support structure underneath this to re-support where you cut off the main frame crossmember? It's a pretty critical piece of aluminum and supports a lot of weight. Not criticizing your work at all. Just curious.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Everything looks excellent. I only have one question. Have you added some sort of support structure underneath this to re-support where you cut off the main frame crossmember? It's a pretty critical piece of aluminum and supports a lot of weight. Not criticizing your work at all. Just curious.

perfect exemble with T-dawg never met him but can tell by his postings hes a reputable tech and one you can trust............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
perfect exemble with T-dawg never met him but can tell by his postings hes a reputable tech and one you can trust............................
Hey I appreciate that. Good to hear man..
Old 07-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

its real sweet having guys like you around who are C.C. techs.........cause you don,t try and rub it in our face that boo hoo but i,m a C.C. tech.............me like old mech i learned everything i know by trial and error and doing it myself with all my little helpers ( service manuals ) thats why i preach to members that if your gonna do your own work the very 1st tool you should buy is the service manual .........they are like the bible to me although i have to use them less and less but i don,t hesitate to grab a manual if i need it or i,m unsure about something..............but having guys like you jumping in and helping out and correcting someone when i,m wrong is still part of the learning curve and its nice to know i have you guys to fall back on when needed without having my nose rubbed in it.............so from me and i,m sure lots of others thanks to you guys who hang out here.....................you all know who you are..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 AM   #15
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
On a frame up build like this I would use a Lester 48v charger and toss the OBC as far out into the lake as I could
On this particular build, believe me, it already went in the lake, but I am trying to make these as a bolt on kit for others in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The welded pan assy itself should act as the replacement for the missing section of frame work shouldn't it?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is quite possible to remove framing and replace it with a pan structure that replaces the structural value. But remember that you are also adding 125 pounds onto the pan.... In my opinion the pan construction & attachment should be more akin to installing a large gusset, If you are avoiding welding so average Joe can install it, then you will need lots of fasteners ..... I dunno, just a thought. (i did not stay at a holiday inn last night)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #17
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post

The welded pan assy itself should act as the replacement for the missing section of frame work shouldn't it?
Probably not. It couldn't possibly be as strong, and like Scottyb said, you're also adding weight. If you were to somehow run a support structure beneath the new battery compartment and tie it into both sides of that beam it may be sufficient.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #18
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Was talking to someone regarding this cart today and it caused me to think about this thread.... Been running the cart around for the last 3 months (and adding features as I go). So far no issues with the frame twisting or warping in any way.I still have ony 4 bolts holding the battery rack in place (2 up front and 2 where I cut the cross member out). Being the super bright idiot that I am, I recently installed a set of 13 inch car rims and low profile tires.... big mistake. first I tried the Jake's offset kit for the front end to allow proper clearence for the larger tires and that failed miserably since I still rub the tires against the cowl on a hard turn. Then I quickly learned that with stock springs, the rear body now sits about an inch above the tires and when I add my weight to it.... it's ON the rear tires. Gonna try a 3 inch Jakes lift on the cart next with HD rear springs.... The only problem I forsee is that the installation of the Jake's offset kit caused me to cut and grind off the stock shock mounts on the Delta A-Arms.... Has anyone ever tried installing the lift on a cart that aleady has the offset plate?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #19
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Found This One: Looks like 8 six volt batteries

rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #20
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have installed a 2" extension plate on a stock suspensioned cart with no problems.

I have installed a 2"offset plate with a brand x 6" spindle lift.

It seemed to work just fine. except for the shock mounts

Why did you have to cut the shock bolts off?

I had to do that to one of my kits as when the brand x turned its design caused it to hit that bolt and not allow full travel in the one direction. My fix for that was to make 2 trapezoid shaped tabs for the shock and weld them on top of the delta plate. no pictures of that though.

I have a couple pics of it without shocks and before the mounting bolts were cut off if that would help.

I do not know if mine was a jakes though. I think i ordered it from big buggies

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car