lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
71duckman
Not Yet Wild

Default Need more toqure

I have a 08 ezgo PDS model with a speed chip and new 23in tall tires. It works great on level ground but dies trying to go up any hills. The battery are fully charge it will run a half day on level ground. What will help the most to get more hill power.
71duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
hooknup
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need more toqure

I have the same cart and same set up with large tires. I sent my motor off to plum quick and I should have it back by Thursday this week. I will let you know how it works out. I also have brand new batteries and seems like the run time is not very good.
hooknup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The tire is the final gear in the drive system. When you change the size from 18 to 23 inch tires you are changing the final drive ratio by about 30%. It is no wonder the cart falls on it face at the slightest hill.
The motor needs to be able to access more amperage. Amperage equals torque. A bigger speed control will allow the access and bigger cables will facilitate the delivery

Having the motor rewound for a little more speed will exasperate the problem.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
71duckman
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for that help, I was thinking about upgrading to a bigger speed control and motor. Does it make sence to change the motor to. Will i need to add more batteries with the speed controler upgrade.
71duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71duckman View Post
Thanks for that help, I was thinking about upgrading to a bigger speed control and motor. Does it make sence to change the motor to. Will i need to add more batteries with the speed controler upgrade.
You can do all the things you suggested but it is not needed to do it all at once.
You can upgrade the controller/solenoid combination and a few cables to increase torque and speed. (30%more torque and about 5mph more than freedom chip speed with upgrade pkg #80.
All that on 36v. If you add 2 batteries and go up to 48v you should see an additional 30% increase in speed and torque.
If you upgrade the motor you can see increase in torque or speed depending upon which motor you get... there are a lot of choices.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

@ 71duckman:
Those 23" tires will give you about 24MPH with a stock controller and motor.
A 400A controller and good cables will get you back to about the torque level you had with stock height tires, but will reduce run-time.
(How much depends on how hilly it is and how heavy your foot is. )
Going to 48V will give you more run-time and 8 X 6V will give you more run-time than 6 X 8V.

Monitor the motor temperature, if it is getting too hot, have Plumb Quick rebuild it.
----------------

@ hooknup:

New batteries only have about 75% of their max storage capacity. They have the be "Matured" to get 100%

Here is how to break them in Properly:
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

Run-time is also a function of the Amp-Hour rating of the batteries.
Trojan T-105 is the de facto standard with 225AH at the 20 hr rate.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO