lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
26s15
Not Yet Wild

Default Powerwise QE charger failure

I have a friend with a golf course that needs some help. He has about 100 chargers for his e-z-go carts. Almost half of the Powerwise QE (915-3610) chargers have failed. I made a check of the insides and there are no signs of damage and the fuses are good. A check with the manufacture resulted in them suggesting that he send all 49 chargers to be refurbished for @ $300 each! I had the batteries and wiring checked - no help. So I have two questions: 1) Is this typical for these chargers and is there a standard fix, and 2) are there schematics for this unit? Thanks for any help you can supply.
26s15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Powerwise QE charger failure

Welcome to BGW!

I have read several horror stories about the QE charger series and cannot recall reading anything good about them except in sales brochures.

To answer your questions:
1) Yes, I believe your friend's experience with QE chargers is fairly typical and the standard fix is toss it in a landfill and buy a good charger.
2) No, the schematic is not available to the consumers.

For less than the $300 rebuild fee, your friend can buy a new in the box DPI charger that will probably outlast his carts, or at least it is repairable and can be repaired in the field by just about anybody that knows which end of the power cord is plugged into the wall outlet.

For example:
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html
The 48V version is shown, but he has 36V also.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
26s15
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help, and thank you for the info. on the DPI charger. It is a shame that he is going to loose so much on chargers.
Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

yes those QE chargers are JUNK. I had ordered 20 electric carts at one time. 15 or so of the chargers were nonfunctioning right out of the box.

How old are the carts, if they are leased thru EZGO, EZGO may help in the replacment of these chargers. If he owns them outright, best thing to do is find someone that will give you a good deal on them as a lot.

Good luck and also WELCOME
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Everyone is dead on correct!! Junk!! I had my own (bad) personal experience with one of those junk QE chargers. The only thing it was good for was that I was able to transfer the male charge receptacle and cable to an older Powerwise that I purchased. I think EZGO is still using some form of that charger on their new carts - unbelieveable ! - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
26s15
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again all! I am searching out the older box - meter on the front - chargers that he has in a storage area. The same is that they are just out of warrante and he is getting no assistance from the company.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Try calling FSIP. they repair these chargers and they seem to be reliable after they fix them.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model 915-3610
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO