lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 - DIY Poor Boy Lift (No Welding Involved)

Look at the photos of lifts for sale, some have a stand that goes under the end on the spindle. It should be same or close to how far the plates raise the arms to keep the geometry right, the arms are about level at rest so are the rods and they should be the same angle. Most lifts move the arms forward some to clear 22s to the frame near the floor, or some only fit 20 atv type tires if they don't. G2/9 lifts are similar but slightly different than the G1.

Thanks for posting a good write up!

True a lift is technically only to fit a larger tire, more height makes them less stable. Larger tire rolls over things nicer and gears cart higher for more speed. Also good idea to use offset wheels with a lift to gain more width and stability, or spacers. Can also widen the front with the plates used.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I've seen some guys take the spindles off and flip them upside down, you'll have to switch sides. This puts the steering arm on the knuckle on the top, rather than on the bottom. Then you can use some kind of spacer/bolt to get the tie rods level with the bottom a arm mounts. Essentially, you have to raise the tie rods at the spindle the same amount as the lift, this will get the steering parts back to factory geometry, or close.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Now that is a good idea about flipping the spindles!

I took a good look before I left for work. I did not put a tape on it, but it looks like just flipping/swapping them will bring me much closer to original geometry. I can't wait to get home and get those tires off! I will update after I get my hands dirty.
sontag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That's what I did as part of my lift....... I then did some welding, but there are other ways of doing it.

I'd just make sure that you do everything safely.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I did not get to turn any wrenches last night. It was a busy family night. I did get to put a tape on those spindles. It looks like if I flip/swap them I will be very close to the original geometry with out any other modifications.

I might have a clearance issue with the shock in a hard turn. I wont know until I get one flipped.

Like Sho mentioned above, I have also decided to modify the front plates so as to widen the front end slightly.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Finally finished...kind of..

Well last weekend I was able to finally finish up on this phase of my G1 cart project. First thing I tried was flipping over and swapping my spindles. That did not work. I just had no clearance to turn the wheel right or left. So I put it all back together and went to plan B.

I had found some heavy iron channel in my buddies scrap pile. As you can see in the picture, it has a really heavy web in the corners. It is actually 5” tall. After I bolted it on, it put me ½” above the original geometry of the tie rods. It seems to be working fine. I did have to bend it a little so that I could get my wheels adjusted correctly. My 2’ pipe wrench made short work of that issue.

The one thing I am mildly concerned to see is if it tries to spin or rotate around the bottom bolt. That is a 3/8” Grade 8 bolt that has a BUNCH of torque on it. I did not drag out the torque wrench to put the nut on the bolt, but I put plenty of “get down on it” when I tightened that nut. I did not figure I would be able to twist a 3/8" Grade 8 bolt in two with normal tools. I then used a lock nut to hold it in place. I do not think it will spin, but I am going to put a couple of spot welds on it the next time I drag the cart over to my buddies shop.

I was also a little worried about flex. That is basically a 4” lever on top of the connecting arm off of the spindle. There is some flex, but surprisingly it is not much. I am going to roll the cart and see how she drives. I might have to end up welding something on the side of the channel to help minimize the flexing. Time will tell.

So now we have a Po’ Boy Lift with minimal welding that costs under $25 (not counting my time…which is priceless). The cart feels very solid and stable. I did lock tight all the nuts with blue lock-tight (unless they had a cotter pin in the bolt). I am going to go back and hit all the “new metal” with some black rattle can. Over all I am really pleased. I have moved on to my next phase which is making a “cow catcher” for the front of the cart from the old grocery cart that I made the bed from. So far it is going very well, and will look pretty cool if I do say so myself. My wife says she likes it and I think she even means it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-09-22 16.09.58.jpg (124.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
wak
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

looking good i will put pics of my homemade kit as soon as i bring it home from campgrounds it has taken the abuse i built it for
wak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #18
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I finally got a chance to work on my cart yesterday and got it all put back together. She rides like a champ. Steering works well and I am very happy with the final results.

So put your scrounging skills to work and go buy some good bolts from the farm store. You can lift your cart for less than $50. It just takes some creativity and elbow grease.

I will post a picture later. It kind of looks funny with the stock tires.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #19
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Sounds like you have achieved your goal, nice job! Yes, the tires really makes the whole project. What are your plans for "cheap" tires? On my build I found some used tires from a Polaris Scrambler atv. It turns out that the rear wheels from the Scrambler will bolt right up, the fronts I purchased some steel wheels with the proper backspace and bolt pattern. I was out the door at $150 for all four. One year later I decided they weren't good enough, and I purchased all new alum wheels and new 489 tires.....$700! But I'll tell you, it rides way better, and looks amazing. Put the money on the tires and wheels if you can.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #20
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I will be on the look out for tires and wheels for sure. My buddy has a Polaris Ranger. I wonder if those tires/wheels would work? He is getting ready to swap out his old wheels and tires for new ones.

Here is a picture of the lifted cart with the grocery cart "cow catcher". I am pleased with how it came out. It is rock solid. Of course, it will look better after a good rattle can paint job (maybe next spring). I plan on mounting my lights to the bumper behind the guard. It will protect them when I am busting through the weeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lifted cart.jpg (317.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha