lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: IQ v i2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
"When the IQ controllers run out you wll get an Excell controller"

. . how about the remainder of his statement . . . ?
I missed that part.... But IQ controllers will be available as replacement parts for many many years after they quit using them on the line.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Jiba, are you still trying to get the Altrax controller working?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am not sure if You are still working on the Altrax controller setup, but before I forget and in case someone else has the same setup:

Precedent Excel + Altrax DCX with the IQ interface adapter.

I looked at the wiring diagram for both the IQ and Excel systems, and while I don't have a wiring diagram for the Altrax IQ interface board, if it works the way I think it does, I have an idea of what could cause the problem you described.

If You have a Voltage Meter, Battery Gauge or anything else connected to the factory Yellow/Black wire behind the dashboard, disconnect it and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #14
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Tahoedawg said the controllers are pinned different and dont play well with each other so wouldnt the Alltrax with the IQ adapter not work with the Excel
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #15
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunoco View Post
Tahoedawg said the controllers are pinned different and dont play well with each other so wouldnt the Alltrax with the IQ adapter not work with the Excel
Not only that, but add another curveball into it.... The Excel harness has three 461 ohm resistors in the throttle wires right next to the MCOR. This modifies throttle signal quite a bit and the IQ controller doesn't like this either.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #16
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

There you have it Jiba.....
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #17
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

While I certainly don't have the experience You guys have, it was not just a wild guess from my part.

I know I did not provide any information to support my conclusion, and I don't mind being wrong as long as l learn something from it.

I am basing all my analysis on the 2009-2011Electric Precedent Service Manual information.

16-Pin controller connector:
There are 2 pin differences between the IQ and Excel harness connector.
The first one is Pin-13, which in the IQ harness provides power to the Speed Sensor and on the Excel harness it goes to the 4-pin connector used for things like the Guardian (lin-bus).
The second difference is Pin-3, which in the IQ harness goes only to the low side of the MCOR, but on the Excel it has other functions (more on this later).

Resistors in the Harness:
The resistors you mentioned must also exist on the IQ harness or the manual is incorrect.
One of the test procedures for the 16-pin connector for both IQ and Excel (pins 1-2-3), have you disconnect the 16-Pin connector from the controller and measure the resistance from Pin-2 (center wiper of MCOR) to Pin-3 (low side of MCOR) of the connector.
The values should be: 1K with pedal UP, all the way to 5.67K to 7.43K with pedal to the floor. (The increasing resistance is an important detail).
Since both the IQ and Excel tests on the manual give you the same readings, assuming the MCOR is the same, any resistances must exist in both harness.

Altrax DCX 400 with IQ interface:
The Altrax website describes the DCX when used on the Club Car IQ as using a 5k-0 MCOR range. Since the MCOR test above show the center-wipe to low side as starting low than going high, that means Altrax must be using the center-wipe to high side connectors of the MCOR.

Excel Harness:
The other main difference in the harness is the fact that the factory red-black/yellow wires used for the optional battery meter are not wired to the same locations.
In the IQ harness the black/yellow comes from B- and on the Excel it comes from Pin-3 of the 16pin connector.

Conclusion:
The concussion I came up with is if You wire a battery meter or anything else to the black/yellow wire, the current will have to flow thru the MCOR before it finds a -48v.
That would also explain the information cmalberto posted about the strange voltage reading he got on his meter after he installed the DCX controller.
That was the Battery-pack voltage minus the voltage drop across the MCOR and any other resistance in the harness. The 4ma or so needed to cause the 27.5 voltage drop he noticed would be consistent with the current used by the digital meter.

I thought before the OP went to the expense of buying a whole new wire harness plus the time needed to replace it, that he could try simply unplugging his digital meter to see it it fixed the problem.

Anyway, that is the whole story, perhaps someone else can see where I made a wrong assumption and we could all benefit from it.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #18
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
While I certainly don't have the experience You guys have, it was not just a wild guess from my part.

I know I did not provide any information to support my conclusion, and I don't mind being wrong as long as l learn something from it.

I am basing all my analysis on the 2009-2011Electric Precedent Service Manual information.

16-Pin controller connector:
There are 2 pin differences between the IQ and Excel harness connector.
The first one is Pin-13, which in the IQ harness provides power to the Speed Sensor and on the Excel harness it goes to the 4-pin connector used for things like the Guardian (lin-bus).
The second difference is Pin-3, which in the IQ harness goes only to the low side of the MCOR, but on the Excel it has other functions (more on this later).

Resistors in the Harness:
The resistors you mentioned must also exist on the IQ harness or the manual is incorrect.
One of the test procedures for the 16-pin connector for both IQ and Excel (pins 1-2-3), have you disconnect the 16-Pin connector from the controller and measure the resistance from Pin-2 (center wiper of MCOR) to Pin-3 (low side of MCOR) of the connector.
The values should be: 1K with pedal UP, all the way to 5.67K to 7.43K with pedal to the floor. (The increasing resistance is an important detail).
Since both the IQ and Excel tests on the manual give you the same readings, assuming the MCOR is the same, any resistances must exist in both harness.

Altrax DCX 400 with IQ interface:
The Altrax website describes the DCX when used on the Club Car IQ as using a 5k-0 MCOR range. Since the MCOR test above show the center-wipe to low side as starting low than going high, that means Altrax must be using the center-wipe to high side connectors of the MCOR.

Excel Harness:
The other main difference in the harness is the fact that the factory red-black/yellow wires used for the optional battery meter are not wired to the same locations.
In the IQ harness the black/yellow comes from B- and on the Excel it comes from Pin-3 of the 16pin connector.

Conclusion:
The concussion I came up with is if You wire a battery meter or anything else to the black/yellow wire, the current will have to flow thru the MCOR before it finds a -48v.
That would also explain the information cmalberto posted about the strange voltage reading he got on his meter after he installed the DCX controller.
That was the Battery-pack voltage minus the voltage drop across the MCOR and any other resistance in the harness. The 4ma or so needed to cause the 27.5 voltage drop he noticed would be consistent with the current used by the digital meter.

I thought before the OP went to the expense of buying a whole new wire harness plus the time needed to replace it, that he could try simply unplugging his digital meter to see it it fixed the problem.

Anyway, that is the whole story, perhaps someone else can see where I made a wrong assumption and we could all benefit from it.
Maybe, maybe not. I've never tried to install one controller on the other system, but I've had hundreds of customers call me and tell me their cars either won't run or they do crazy things when they install a "grey" controller in place of a "black" controller or vice versa. I can also confirm that there are no resistors present in the IQ harness. I've de-loomed and stripped hundreds of these harnesses down and reconfigured them for different applications and there are no resistors in them. The early Excel harnesses didn't have resistors (2008-2009) but the resistors were added via the adapter piece that was referred to earlier in this listing. About the service manual being wrong, I'm not surprised in the least bit. I see misprints in them constantly.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #19
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think I still have a copy of that Altrax adapter interface board wiring, If so I'll post it.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car