lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
cyclebender
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor upgrade question

I'm researching the various motors available to upgrade my series cart. Cart is presently 48 volts, with Alltrax 500 amp controlled, HD F/R switch, 48 volt solenoid and 4 ga cables.
I found that the “raptor” motor is a popular choice, but I'm a little confused though as to who makes this motor. I have found several sites that call the AMD 7126 motor a raptor, and other sites that refer to a GE 398 motor as raptor. Are these two different motors with the same specs or are the two companies some how related? Some sites call this a speed motor, and other sites call it a torque motor. What measure of performance improvement can I reasonably expect? Any idea how these motors compare to a Admiral hi speed motor, or motor from D&D?
Also need some advice on a solenoid for this cart. I purchased a “so called” HD 48 volt solenoid on line, but found it was only rated at 200 amps, but has worked fine so far. Will a 400 amp solenoid offer any improvement in performance or just be more reliable?
Thanks all for your help and advice.
cyclebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor upgrade question

If you know exactly what you want out of a new motor for your cart and terrain, call Vic or Eric at D&D, they will spec you out a custom motor to meet your exact needs (within reason and safety).

While a higher amp solenoid won't provide any increased performance,, it will provide peace of mind knowing you won't be exceeding it's electrical limits anymore compared to the 200A solenoid you currently have. It also will last longer and won't leave you stranded.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I've seen at least two labels, AMD and I believe GE, that seem to be the same motor. Beyond that, I don't really know. I bought mine from a site sponsor.

As to performance, no one in my four subdivisions can touch me, even the gassers. My old gasser would probably blow away my current cart, but I basically eliminated the governor. I never clocked its top end.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Like yurtle......I have a Raptor, mine came from a site sponsor and has a AMD label on it. from what I saw and read before I bought it. even on that sponsors site, the AMD and GE motors listed were made to the same spec.

as far as the coil goes. I would recommend a SD solenoid (400/1000 AMD Super Duty) for the sake if reliability.

as far as what you can expect......it all depends on how you use your cart, the size of the tires. my cart is still running 36v.....and is on 23" tires and can and will run 27 mph all day long.....if I were to make the jump to 48v......my top end would be in the area of 33-35 mph.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

May want to think about going to 2 ga. cables with this setup.
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
cyclebender
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice, I'll defiantly go with a 400 amp solenoid. As far as the 2 ga. cables, may have to wait, maybe I can get my Dad to raise my allowance.
cyclebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Just take him for a long hard ride at 500 amps with your old cables. Maybe you'll get "lucky" and fry a cable and make him walk home. He'll have to buy you the bigger cables then.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
BeachBumTech
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The "Raptor" motor is the AMD 7126 which is the same as a GE D398 motor.

I got mine from EVDrives, but they are all the same. AMD is "Advanced Motors & Drives".
I have also upgraded all of my cables to 2AWG with a 650 amp controller.
BeachBumTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Like sportcoupe said, give D+D a call they will sell you the exact motor you need according to your specific needs. I have had mine in a short time and it does exactly what they said it would do for performance.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO