lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
dewaynew
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1990 EZgo Marathon Solid State Has no Power

My Marathon will move, but it acts like the batteries are almost dead. They are fully charged and I have checked them to make sure they are all good. The connections are clean and tight, I did remove the F N R switch and clean the contacts, but that seems to be fine now. I have checked the wiring against the diagrams listed here, but cannot find anything not wired properly. It actually seems to have a little more speed in reverse than in forward. If I go on good level ground, or a slight downgrade, it will eventually pick up speed. It just does not have any power to start off on its own. Does anybody have any ideas of what I need to check next? I'm at a loss for what to do.

Thanks in advance....
dewaynew is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 EZgo Marathon Solid State Has no Power

I'll get you started.

Check resistance on potentiometer. 0 ohms at rest smooth rise to 5k ohms at wide open throttle. Black and white wires from pot to controller.

Have you load or discharge tested your batteries? What are individual and pack voltages. Check specific gravity?

Solenoid?
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
dewaynew
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, I will check those items tomorrow. What about the black and white wire? They are tight and the terminals are clean.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

The wires are where you check the throttle potentiometer continuity.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
dewaynew
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
I'll get you started.

Check resistance on potentiometer. 0 ohms at rest smooth rise to 5k ohms at wide open throttle. Black and white wires from pot to controller.

Have you load or discharge tested your batteries? What are individual and pack voltages. Check specific gravity?

Solenoid?
Ok, the resistance rises smoothly and correctly. I load tested the batteries and all check good. The individual voltages are 6.27 to 6.4 volts. The pack voltage is 37.98 volts. I do not have a way to check the specific gravity of each cell, would that be needed if the batteries load tested good?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Check the solenoid. Solid click when throttle is pressed? Easiest way to check is to jumper the large terminals. Then if she goes properly you have a bad solenoid. If no change then I'd start looking at the controller.

Your pack is a little over 90%. How long after a full charge cycle did you take the voltage reading?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
dewaynew
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Check the solenoid. Solid click when throttle is pressed? Easiest way to check is to jumper the large terminals. Then if she goes properly you have a bad solenoid. If no change then I'd start looking at the controller.

Your pack is a little over 90%. How long after a full charge cycle did you take the voltage reading?
I jumpered the large terminals and no difference. Although I did accidentally burn the diode that is attached to the two small terminals. As for the charging of the battery pack, I think it had been sitting about a week or so. In monkeying around with this thing today, I noticed that a couple of the terminals on the controller were just a bit loose inside the controller...ie..I could move the terminal maybe 1/16th of an inch .. If I have a bad controller and want to upgrade, what is recommended?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

I've had success with Alltrax as well as Curtis. Several options. Do some research and check with any of the site sponsors.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
dewaynew
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I've had success with Alltrax as well as Curtis. Several options. Do some research and check with any of the site sponsors.
I have been looking at the Altrax units, should I plan on putting a new solenoid on as well? BTW... what is the diode that I fried on the solenoid for?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
dewaynew
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Fixed it today. I replaced the solenoid, resistor and diode, and put an altrax controller on it. Wow...that thing is awesome. Thanks for all the input guys..this is a great forum....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO