lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
ddchallenger
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 84 EZGO Surging at Low Speed

I recently purchased a 1984 EZGO Marathon with the 244cc Robin motor. The problem I am experiencing is at low speed, the engine surges and then cuts out then surges then cuts out...etc while the gas pedal is maintained at the same position and on occasion the cart will backfire. From half throttle to full throttle the cart runs great, no issues and no backfiring. I can't figure out what is causing this. Are there adjustments to microswitches, carb, etc that would cause this? What are the factory settings for the carb?

I am new to EZGO's, I have always owned club cars and I am quite familiar with them. Can anyone suggest what might be the problem?

Thanks!
ddchallenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Chopper Tom
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 84 EZGO Surging at Low Speed

Not sure about Robins motors but I have the same prob with my 20hp Onan on my Wheelhorse Tractor. It may be a weak governor spring.
Chopper Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddchallenger View Post
I recently purchased a 1984 EZGO Marathon with the 244cc Robin motor. The problem I am experiencing is at low speed, the engine surges and then cuts out then surges then cuts out...etc while the gas pedal is maintained at the same position and on occasion the cart will backfire. From half throttle to full throttle the cart runs great, no issues and no backfiring. I can't figure out what is causing this. Are there adjustments to microswitches, carb, etc that would cause this? What are the factory settings for the carb?
Thanks!
Lots of time it's a cable(s) that'll cause symptoms like you describe, there are adjustments to them. This can effect the micros as well. Is your governor still hooked up? The carb adjustment i'm not sure about seems like the ones that are adjustable you just run it in and back out 1 3/4 turns
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
ddchallenger
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the feedback! I adjusted the cables this weekend and cleared up the backfiring and surging issues!

Now the cart runs really good, actually it runs too fast. I know that may sound strange but it is too fast at the lowest possible speed. When I barely press the gas pedal the cart runs faster than my campground will allow. I believe I need to adjust the Governor to slow the cart down.

Is there any information out there on how to adjust the Governor on a 1984 Marathon?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
divot61
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

sounds like its the linkage from the Governor to the butterfly, make sure that the throttle plate is fully closed, push the accel pedal and watch the linkage move back and fourth, also you will hear the faint click of the micro switch when you depress accel pedal, the throttle plate should not move until the micro switch activates
divot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
ddchallenger
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the feedback! I will check out the linkage and make sure the the butterfly fully closes and listen for the micro switch to engage before the butterfly opens. This sounds like it is exactly what is going on. I will report back with what i find.

Thanks again!
Old 06-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
divot61
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

no problem, keep us posted dd
divot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
ddchallenger
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

divot61,

You were right on the money with your suggestion. The throttle plate was not fully closing. I made the adjustment and now the cart runs great. I've got a speed that is a great balance between the slow speed the campground requires and fast enough to make me happy whne nobody is looking....

Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
turkey lurkey
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Good thread here! I've got the same issue with an '89. Now I know where to start. Thanks all!
turkey lurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Check in the tech sticky.. There is a full listing of how to properly adjust those cables. They can be trifling!!
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO