lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
recondeb
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Can I convert my ezgo golf cart 2 stroke engine

What do I need to do to my I have a 90" EZGO Marathon with an 81" 2 Stroke Robin Engine to make it run a bit more quiet? Im thinking either buy a new one or replace the whole engine. Any suggestions would be helpful.
recondeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
groovycart
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Can I convert my ezgo golf cart 2 stroke engine

Been wanting to know the same thing, the noise is all in the motor itself and not the muffler. muffler seems to be almost 100% quite but the motor always sounds like it knocking which drive me insane. Mine was rebuilt before I bout it. Basically how its supposed to sound given by how it was designed. Im gonna research any ways I can maybe bore mine a little bit and see if maybe a more quiter dirt bike piston from a 2 stroke is possible. I have read somewhere that they can be bored out and you can have a powersports shop get the specs on your piston and they can order you a weisco piston to put it for a little more top end power. But as far as being more quite Ill look into it for us.
groovycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I convert my ezgo golf cart 2 stroke engine

You should start with the premise that it did once work acceptably and therefore it can be fixed. Two stroke engine relies heavily on muffler performance in two respects. The first is that unlike a four stroke where the combustion and subsequent explosion are entirely contained within the chamber, the exhaust port on a two stroke is exposed whilst the explosion takes place. This can be seen when running without an exhaust as a huge flame will leap out of the cylinder. It is therefore very important that the exhaust manifold and is a good fit to both the cylinder and the muffler. In addition, due to the extreme heat, it is quite common for the exhaust pipe to burn through right on the flange. I would recommend that you first remove the muffler and the pipe and check for perforations. Then replace the two gaskets, fortunately for your model they are just a few dollars as opposed to the ~$30 or so other engine manufacturers charge. The other consideration for a two stroke is that the exhaust pipe is designed with an expansion chamber for optimal performance (here shown as the green unburnt gas being sucked back into the cylinder) so fitting a larger four stroke system will not necessarily work.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO