lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
puzomatc
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 81 marathon "pulsing" downhill

81 marathon 2 cycle with a performance clutch. Very nice cart.
Recently as a zoom down hills, the cart pulses down hill. My best description is the cart lunges downhill. It doesn't miss on the motor, it's like it's nodding its head downhill. Can we post videos here? That would help.

Thanks
puzomatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 81 marathon "pulsing" downhill

What most people do is post the video to Youtube or some other site and put a link to it here. If you can, remove the cover right behind the seats so you can have someone drive the cart downhill and you can watch the clutches and the belts. I'm getting something similar to this myself. Did this start after the performance clutch?
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I am sure that you will appreciate that is is hard to diagnose a problem by remote control but here are a few scenarios.

1. The Governor. Is it adjusted right? Is it even fitted? If is is it might be worth disconnecting it just to eliminate it from the equation.

2. The fuel filter. I think that there is a clue here inasmuch as you say "downhill". Is it possible that the filter is partially blocked and when you are driving flat out the fuel supply cannot keep up until the engine slows a little.

3. The fuel supply. This has happened to me. The breather pipe became kinked so as the fuel in the carburetor bowl went down air could not get in fast enough and a vacuum was formed preventing fuel flow again until the engine slowed when it sped up and then cut out.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
puzomatc
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The comet clutch went on 3 years ago. This pulsing thing started end of last season. Golf cart sleeps in the garage in the winter.

The governor is not on the cart.

I'll get a couple new filters tomorrow. Couldn't hurt.

Breather pipe? That tiny little clear hose coming out the top of the carb? I'll blow through it to make sure it's all good (carb hole too).

Thanks. I need the help.

Video to come. The dog can't steer or hold a camera.

And when i say going downhill, I mean balls out 18mph! Right before I replaced the top end, I tried to blow up the motor. Screamed at 21 mph!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
puzomatc
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Put a new fuel filter on, arrow lining up with fuel flow. No kinks in the old one.

The breather tube had some resistance while blowing on it. I removed the hose and found the resistance was on the barb attached to the carburetor. I removed the carburetor, noticing fuel puddling on the filtered air delivery hose, and gave the carburetor a quick clean. The jet, and float assembly all look clean and move smoothly.

Movie to come shortly. The wife hates 2 cycle smell. I think it smells like pride.

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
puzomatc
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Video link:
About halfway through, I see the driven clutch bounce in and out. I'm guessing that is my mechanical error.

Fixes?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

I can't tell much from the video but I'm guessing it was lurching the whole time you shot it right? I saw something with the driven clutch but I couldn't tell what it did. I'd try some sort of rigid mount for the camera and do one of the drive clutch and one of the driven.

Blind guess, are the engine mounts shot and allowing the whole assembly to sort of swing around in the cradle?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
puzomatc
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

A sturdier camera mount isn't going to happen. The wife hated driving it without a seat. That's all I got.

Engine mounts look good. The motor doesn't shimmy when in trying to shake it.

I'll take apart the driven clutch to see what parts are worn more than usual.

Other ideas?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:49 AM   #9
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Check out some golf courses and see where they get their carts maintained. Call all of those shops and take it in and give them a run on it. At this point I can't help anymore. Maybe someone else can but I'm out of ideas.

Failing that, I'd like to see as good of a vid as you can possibly get on that driven clutch. Even without a rigid mount theres got to be something you can brace against to get steadier on the clutch. Like I said, I saw it do *something*. That something may be completely normal or it may not.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO