lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
d.medic
Not Yet Wild

Default No start, No power

Hello all, New to the forum and just trying to help my retired father get his 92-96 Club Car DS gas golf cart running again.

The cart started having intermittent no start scenarios. Step on the pedal nothing, step on the pedal nothing, step on the pedal it would go. This finally turned into it never working.

After searching this forum I decided to check the fuse, battery, ground and then ultimately replace the solenoid. After replacing the solenoid there was no change, still no start. I then replaced all the micro switches. Still no start.

I have metered the solenoid. I am getting switched 12v on the small blue wire (with the key), 12v on the small orange wire, and 12v on the large red wire(more like almost 13v). I can not get 12v on the starter side of the solenoid. In fact it reads ground (maybe because it is still closed??) If I jump 12 volts from the large post I can get the cart to run.

What else am I missing? Is it possible I got a bad new solenoid? Any help would be very appreciated, I am running out of things to replace :-)
Thank you!
d.medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
RED 92CC GAS
Getting Wild
Club Car

If cart starts when solenoid jumped,sounds like solenoid. Did you get an oem club car solenoid?

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
RED 92CC GAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: No start, No power

Your small orange wire should go to a micro switch in the "black box" just ahead of the solenoid. When the switch is activated by the accelerator linkage it should ground the solenoid switch terminal (completing the circuit) so the solenoid will switch power to the starter. Check your grounds.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
d.medic
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED 92CC GAS View Post
If cart starts when solenoid jumped,sounds like solenoid. Did you get an oem club car solenoid?

I got the solenoid from buggies unlimited, doesn't look oem but it was listed as for this cart. It was also more expensive than the ebay ones.

Can you install a solenoid wrong? I installed it both ways with the same results but none of the post are labeled
Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #5
d.medic
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Your small orange wire should go to a micro switch in the "black box" just ahead of the solenoid. When the switch is activated by the accelerator linkage it should ground the solenoid switch terminal (completing the circuit) so the solenoid will switch power to the starter. Check your grounds.
I did check the ground from the generator to the frame, is there another one I should be looking at?
Old 05-10-2016, 06:14 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The "main" ground is on the frame rail right in front of the battery. In fact you usually need to pull the battery to really get at it. If you follow the (-) battery cable to it's end you'll find it. It could be an issue at that ground or the micro switch that grounds the solenoid (top one in the back box), or the one at the shifter (closest to the engine side). The switch at the shifter should connect to ground when the switch is pressed (by the cam lobe), the one in the box should connect to ground when it is extended (by the movement of the accelerator linkage). Have to have power and ground to complete the circuit.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
d.medic
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
The "main" ground is on the frame rail right in front of the battery. In fact you usually need to pull the battery to really get at it. If you follow the (-) battery cable to it's end you'll find it. It could be an issue at that ground or the micro switch that grounds the solenoid (top one in the back box), or the one at the shifter (closest to the engine side). The switch at the shifter should connect to ground when the switch is pressed (by the cam lobe), the one in the box should connect to ground when it is extended (by the movement of the accelerator linkage). Have to have power and ground to complete the circuit.
The cart is winning. I'm out of ideas. removed and cleaned all grounds. No luck. The orange wire reads a constant 12v, along with the blue wire and the other main post of the solenoid. The white wire reads ground. Just seems like a bad solenoid, but its brand new.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
d.medic
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED 92CC GAS View Post

Just in case anyone is reading this to troubleshoot....Looks like the new solenoid is bad. I can press the pedal and tap on the solenoid at it will work. Do you think I can bill the vendor for my time?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car