lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #11
Boet
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1993 DS Charging issue

Which small terminal, the solenoid has two?
Boet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #12
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

ones a ground do the other
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #13
Boet
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Weird, with the key on both have battery power to them.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You have voltage on both terminals because the pedal micro-switch grounds the second terminal. When no ground is present there will be voltage all the way to the end of the circuit, which in this case will be the switch.
When the switch is closed and the circuit is then grounded, the voltage will drop across the load (the solenoid coil) and you will see the voltage drop near 0 on the ground terminal of the solenoid.

It's possible you have a poor ground that's keeping voltage on the ground side of the solenoid coil and causing the solenoid to open once the engine is running.

Figure out which terminal on the solenoid is the ground side by checking each for voltage when depressing the pedal just enough to get the switch to close. One side should stay near 12v, the other side should drop near 0v.
If there is a ground issue, high voltage on the ground side will indicate that. You may see 2-3v or more, and that will likely climb higher once the engine is running.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #15
Boet
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Okay, thanks!!
Old 09-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #16
Boet
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Okay, thanks for the help. I followed your troubleshooting tip Fairtax4me and that is the symptom I observed. Cleaned the terminals and grounds, no help. Just out of curiosity I pressed the lever on the start microswitch while the cart was running and the voltage on the ground side f the solenoid dropped bact to near zero. I will make the assumption the microswitch is not making good contact due to vibrations with the engine running.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #17
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boet View Post
Okay, thanks for the help. I followed your troubleshooting tip Fairtax4me and that is the symptom I observed. Cleaned the terminals and grounds, no help. Just out of curiosity I pressed the lever on the start microswitch while the cart was running and the voltage on the ground side f the solenoid dropped bact to near zero. I will make the assumption the microswitch is not making good contact due to vibrations with the engine running.
Watching this
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #18
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Then that switch is probably bad. You should be able to bypass it just to test it for a little while, but it should ultimately be replaced.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #19
Boet
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Then that switch is probably bad. You should be able to bypass it just to test it for a little while, but it should ultimately be replaced.
Picking up a new switch Friday.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car