lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
Srhyne712
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Precedent 48v voltage Reducer Problem (no reduction)

I recently purchased a 2011 Club Car Precedent 48v. The previous owner advised he never could get the lightbars to work properly even with his reducer. He told me everything was connected properly but when I hooked up my light bars to the harness, it immediately blew a 20 amp fuse. 2nd attempt i had installed a 30amp fuse and it didnt blow the fuse but the lightbars came on even when they were switched off... they wouldn't turn off unless i unplugged the harness. And one lightbar may have blew up as only two lof the LEDs worked on it now. ( they are led pods so small) .

I got a voltage meter and checked the red and black (fused) wires he had going to the accessory lights and its says it is still at 49v . Does this mean the reducer is bad or does he have it wired wrong?

The particular reducer has two seperate sets of wire coming out the same side of the reducer. One set contains a black and yellow wire. The other contains a red wire, black wire, and green wire I assume for key switch.

He had the yellow attached to the main positive on batteries and black on main negative for batteries. The three wire harness had a red for accessory positive and a black for accesorry negative, then the green for key switch wasn't hooked up unfortunately and I dont know if this is an issue in itself.

All help is appreciated.
Srhyne712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2019, 09:20 PM   #2
sparty9955@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club Car Precedent 48v voltage Reducer Problem (no reduction)

This is how I setup my reducer.

1. 12g red wire from large bolt battery side of solenoid to positive intake wire with built in fuse on 48v voltage reducer. (Tip...the less connections at the battery the better...helps prevent corrosion.)
2. 12g black wire from black yellow bullet wire behind battery 4 that connects directly to B- on controller to neg intake wire on 48v voltage reducer. (Tip...connecting this way allows the on board computer OBC to account for drain from your accessories)
3. Yellow wire from 48v voltage reducer to blue wire at the switch (which I believe is the cold side/switched side).
4. Black 12g output wire from 48v voltage reducer to fuse block.
5. Red 12g output wire from 48v voltage reducer to fuse block.
6. All accessories wired to fuse block (radio, headlight/taillight, underbody LED lights).

I’m mounting the 6 panel fuse block in the battery compartment. The 48v reducer is being mounted up front under front cowl space on metal bracket. All wires being ran through dash and under floor mat in little grove with main harness to battery compartment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D0103CB3-2AF5-43CA-A65D-323D8EF819C9.jpg (103.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg E5461C96-823D-4FCD-9B84-83B18956F2D8.jpg (126.3 KB, 0 views)
sparty9955@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Srhyne712
Not Yet Wild

I've got a 6 panel fuse block. The fuse on the block was the one blown.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It appears the reducer is wired wrong.

There is no standard when it comes to colors in those converter wires, so don't assume anything, check the label on the converter to identify the function of each wire.

If the converter has a trigger wire, it must be connected to either the key switch for On/Off operation or the pack positive for an always ON converter.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
Srhyne712
Not Yet Wild

Ok I fixed the reducer issue. It was wired backwards.... but now the led lights stay on unless I turn the golf cart key off. The switch for the lights doesn't turn them off for some reason..
Old 07-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srhyne712 View Post
Ok I fixed the reducer issue. It was wired backwards.... but now the led lights stay on unless I turn the golf cart key off. The switch for the lights doesn't turn them off for some reason..
Whoever wired your lights jacked it up. Take off dash and look to ensure the light switch wires are wired to the switch. Your reducer is wired to the key as an on and off for the reducer but your lights were likely wired by an Ohio State Grad which means by default they didn’t have a clue.....it’s almost football season so I will digress....check the wiring at the switch.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #7
Srhyne712
Not Yet Wild

I changed out the relay with a second harness I had and boom, now it works. Thanks for the help folks. Now I just gotta buy a new lightbar lol.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:12 PM   #8
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srhyne712 View Post
I changed out the relay with a second harness I had and boom, now it works. Thanks for the help folks. Now I just gotta buy a new lightbar lol.
Well done
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car