lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
slowryder45
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default stock yamaha clutch to 1" shaft

Can anyone tell me if someone makes an adaptor or a bushing to adapt a stock yamaha clutch to a Big Block engine with a 1" shaft and keyway. I was thinking i read on here somewhere that it was available by somebody.
slowryder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Default Re: stock yamaha clutch to 1" shaft

We have a adapter to use a tapered clutch on a straight shaft. You do have to cut off the excess crankshaft and tap deeper. I don't think you want to use a yamaha clutch though as they do not have a engagement spring and you would not be able to stop the cart. We also have a 1" straight shaft clutch that will work great.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
slowryder45
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I have a G1 with a ski-doo 500cc currently in it. It has the stock ski-doo clutch on that engine. Is it possible that i can use that clutch with a lower rpm spring thats in it or am I just better of to get a new clutch. Just trying to save a little money right now. I have a used engine with the 1" shaft. Tired of all the smoke and loud reving.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Both the G1 and the Ski doo clutch are sprung and weighted for 2 stroke rpms you would really be better with a clutch weighted for a 4 stroke if thats what your putting in. You didn't say just a 1" shaft.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
slowryder45
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Looks like I am going to buy a new clutch, I appreciate all your help BigBlock Man. I get some funds together I will give you a call for a new one. Thanks again
Old 01-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #6
Rollin Hard
Not Yet Wild

so why exactly wouldnt the yamaha clutch work? in stock form it doesnt have a return spring on the drive clutch, the driven clutch on the rear end retracts and works fine. cant see why it wouldnt work
Rollin Hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

With no spring in the drive clutch as soon as engine turns cart is moving. If you put that clutch on a motor that idles cart will not stop until you turn off motor
Old 06-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

My cart will sit still if it idles really slow, I don't know if a clone will idle that low. You can't shift it though because the belt does drag unless you put a brake on the secondary. The clutches have to be clean and lubed to idle and may still creep on pavement with no braking. A new belt will be sticky get some dust and wear on it. If you have the belt too tight it will drag more.

Far as I know the G1 runs the same rpm as the 4 strokes (stock), yamaha changed to the 4 stroke clutch for the G1 replacement. A sled engine is all different it makes no power at low rpm and a sled with its track needs some go power to take off. What you can do is put a shorter spring in the primary on a sled, it should engage sooner yet get more rpm at speed if the spring is still as stiff. It may bog on takeoff because if you still have the pipe on it to get the power, the pipe does not work at low rpm. Otherwise you can restrict the exhaust some for better low end, but you are defeating the reason you put it in there and its not ported for that low rpm. You can put heavier weights in the clutch too and experiment, but sled clutches often don't tune that low of rpm as they are not made to work there on a sled....you could not get a sled to move with a 1500 engagement. The stock yamaha must be around 800rms it takes off, that is the only way to get a super smooth takeoff.

The comets and may polaris are the same, you can get all kinds of weights and springs for....other sleds I don't know. You will have to experiment and try to find someone into sleds that knows how to tune them and what parts are available. Shorter primary spring will engage lower, length does affect the top rpm but strength of spring and weights mostly does. Short spring the weights will fly out faster and engage before the spring has much pressure. Weaker spring weights fly out faster to lower rpm all over as will heavier weights especially at higher rpm. The secondary works with it too so a sled clutch may not work well with a cart secondary you may need to change the spring in that and/or the ramp slope (helix) but that would mostly be for action moving (shifting) not takeoff unless it sucks the belt in and bogs.

If you keep the gen/starter from the cart, then creeping is not a big deal anyway.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
clubcar1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i have a clubcar with a 8 1/2 secondary and a 7 1/2 primary snowmobile clutch but the primary has more lot more travel than the secondary does do you have a secondary clutch that will work for this set up 1" on sec
clubcar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!