lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
jeff12pv
Not Yet Wild

Default cant close seat

I am putting a 16 vanguard in a yamaha G9. Just got the pancake air filter can (had to get one because the engine i am using had the tall one in the gas tank on top) and found out it will not clear the seat. I am using cpps engine cradle. Do i have to use a lift to put this engine in? If i flip the two bars on the cradle i do not think the oil filter will fit. so do i have to remote the filter flip the bars and lift the cart? I thought i was getting close.
jeff12pv is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Default Re: cant close seat

Most conventional big block conversions require a lift..I believe the suggested lift is a minimum of four inches.
There are a few who have purposefully designed their engine transplants
to not require a lift, but they all had pretty extensive frame modifications..
Not sure what or how much you will have to do to yours, but I lifted my cart four inches and the air filter is stock, and the oil filter is stock also..as far as location.

hope that helps..
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
jeff12pv
Not Yet Wild

thanks it does help. I want to keep the stock cleaner to promote engine life. I put 20" tires on 10" rims and 4" of lift will be good for that too. I thought i just about had this thing worked out.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff12pv View Post
thanks it does help. I want to keep the stock cleaner to promote engine life. I put 20" tires on 10" rims and 4" of lift will be good for that too. I thought i just about had this thing worked out.
You can actually run stock tires if you want..but the lift is need to clear everything from frame to axle..the tires are an added bonus to having a lift as they won't fit without one. At least most don't fit without a lift..I guess you are running them ok.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
jeff12pv
Not Yet Wild

have not run yet. the cart will also see some abuse. Daughter is planning on taking it to run in infield at dirt track races. It has been an interesting project. Originally it was to go from dock to house but I had to rent out the house. Should be fun when it is finished.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

I would sure consider flipping the cradle, and possibly even running it underneath the frame. You will need longer bolts and possibly some spacers. Remote the oil filter, you will be glad you did!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

NAPA has the remote filter parts, I had hydraulic lines made for ones I have done they are not that expensive here at the right place, be it farm equipment dealer, NAPA, or a hydraulic place they all can make them. Anyway, hydraulic lines last a good long time and lawn equipment uses them for this purpose. Some lawn equipment also uses a cooler then you need 3 lines. Need a cooler with screw on fittings. You might be able to cheat and use a car filter that holds a lot more oil if you buy that size for the remote part of it. Some boats use them.

When I put this clone in a G9 I pulled the airbox out and welded a stand there with a bar on top. I bolted a car airbox to it and used that filters are $6. Then I piped the box to the front of the cart with 2" pvc to keep all the dirt out we get in stock carts. It ends behind the yamaha emblem on the front.
Photos: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-thread-3.html
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:01 AM   #8
jeff12pv
Not Yet Wild

if i do not run a remote filter i will have to run the small filter or unbolt the engine for oil changes. I own a bunch of small equipment and i like to change the oil frequently. the larger filter is also a positive thing. I think i have found the part to bolt to the block at parts tree.com
Old 06-03-2011, 03:03 AM   #9
jeff12pv
Not Yet Wild

i wonder if i could cut the original filter mount and drill and tap the openings. I just have to figure out which is the in and which is the oil out flow. Dont think it should be to hard to do.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You might, the remote one has ears to bolt it to something. You could weld some on or find another way to secure it. But would be stuck with the small filter too. Most filters they run the oil to the outside and back to engine out the center you can tell by looking at the passages, or turning the engine so it pumps oil, or looking for a pressure gauge plug. If I did one I'd get the remote for a SB ford or chevy, very common filters. Some of the diesels have huge filters if you want to go nuts lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!