lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
BigzB
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Lithium Pack Build Questions

I'm looking to build a lithium battery pack with BMS for charging. My cart is a 2005 Ezgo TXT Series, 350a controller, and stock motor. I'm thinking of using 12 3.2v cells in series to create 38.4v. I found these on Alibaba called 3.2V 105Ah Lifepo4 Prismatic Power Battery Cell. Since I'm new I cannot post links or pictures so I added them as an album. Has anyone used these batteries or know if they will work? Next question is BMS should I go with a Zeva 12? Do I need anything else with the Zeva or is ready to go out of the box. Last question what charger should I get?

Thanks for answering my questions!
BigzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
BigzB
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lithium Pack Build Questions

More specific question about BMS. Do I need one rated for 300+ amp or can I use a Daly 36V 20A? I'm guessing if I use a lower amp rating I'll need additional parts?
Old 02-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I don't know the answer, but am bumping this thread to bring back to top so that some of the more knowlegeable folks here can see it and respond.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
Joshwaa
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I would go with a Daly BMS. I think they have them up to 500amps now. I also have seen them on Amazon.

You could possibly go with a lower amp and just connect that to a solenoid to monitor the pack then cut the solenoid if needed (low voltage). You would not have the current protection that way though.
Joshwaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:25 AM   #5
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Great info here on a DIY lithium build.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160302

No need for a high Amp BMS and actually not recommended. Better to use a low current cutoff signal as described above.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #6
BigzB
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Great info here on a DIY lithium build.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160302

No need for a high Amp BMS and actually not recommended. Better to use a low current cutoff signal as described above.

Cheers
Pat.
Thanks Pat! I spent last Friday reading Sergio's post. I decided on a JBD 36V 20A 12S BMS with bluetooth $38 and 12 EVE 3.2V 105AH Lifepo4 batteries $570. Shipping from China was $133. Unfortunately with Chinese New Year shipping is closed and they won't go out until March 1. My only option to receive them sooner was using airfreight but it would've added $300. In hindsight I could've ordered a Daly on ebay cheaper but at first they thought if I ordered by Feb. 1 they would be able to ship so I made the purchase.

Link to the batteries I ordered. EVE-3-2V-105AH

Once I receive the parts I plan to update this post as I do my build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwaa View Post
I would go with a Daly BMS. I think they have them up to 500amps now. I also have seen them on Amazon.

You could possibly go with a lower amp and just connect that to a solenoid to monitor the pack then cut the solenoid if needed (low voltage). You would not have the current protection that way though.
I believe Sergio used a relay connected to the solenoid for high voltage cutoff and another relay connected to the key switch for low voltage. The relays arrived yesterday. Now I'm waiting for the slow boat to arrive
Old 05-18-2021, 01:09 AM   #7
hattmall
Not Yet Wild

Just wondering how this went?
hattmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Kinda wondering too.

Especially since his target was 38.4v and the 3.2v per cell is the nominal rating. Full 100% charge is 3.65v per cell, so only charging to 3.2v is giving up a lot of range. If you charge to say 3.75 (I'm not overly familiar with the 3.2v lith cells so I don't know where to charge those to for longevity) then you're at 45 V which his aftermarket may be able to handle... There's probably some documentation on it if you know the model number.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #9
BigzB
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well it took 2 months but I finally received my cells. I just started wiring the bms last night. Hopefully I'll have it finished by this weekend but with coaching softball I don't have a lot of free time right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210524_005618514.jpg (111.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210601_172826632.jpg (210.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-01-2021, 02:35 PM   #10
BigzB
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I managed to finish wiring the pack this afternoon and have it charging. xiaoxiang app has a quick setting for "Lifepo4 Light" pack voltage will be 42.6v and will cutout when it goes below 33.6v. Minimum cell voltage 2.75 and max 3.55. I think that will be a good starting point. The cheap 5amp charger is going to take 13 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210601_190558521.jpg (272.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO