lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #1
imstriker4
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 - Spark fails after 1-20 seconds

Greetings all! Picked up a G9 that had been sitting a long time. I've managed to correct all the issues on the fuel side, now I'm fighting electrical.

The cart will start and then die off with sputters after a very short time. I pulled the spark plug and I get great spark that fades away. It seems to involve time. If I let the cart sit for about 5 minutes, I can get a solid 20 seconds of spark. If I try again right away I get about 1 second and then no spark at all.

So it sounds like ignitor, coil, etc kind of issues. Just throwing it out there in case anyone had run into a similar fade away. At this point I've gotten as far as testing resistance on the coil at 5 ohms. Going to keep digging, but always appreciate wisdom.
imstriker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 - Spark fails after 1-20 seconds

The ignitor is the likely cause, but the coil is much less expensive so try that first, and also a new lead wire. If you do get an ignitor, aftermarket ones are not that great, try and find a Yamaha part.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
The ignitor is the likely cause, but the coil is much less expensive so try that first, and also a new lead wire. If you do get an ignitor, aftermarket ones are not that great, try and find a Yamaha part.
AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY ! Aftermarket ignitors are JUNK !
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also test the other half of the coil unscrew the spark plug cap and test from either terminal in the coil to the end of the wire. Should be around 10k ohms. The. Test resistance through the spark plug cap. Should be around 5k ohms.

If that checks good then locate the 3 pin connector on the passenger side going into the motor by the fan and check resistance between the white/black and white/red wires. That should be around 500 ohms, give or take.

If all that checks out, there’s not much more you can test, I’d suspect the ignitor. Here’s what I did on my G9. Skip to page 3. Worked out great and never had a spark problem again. I just couldn’t justify spending $350+ on an ignitor that cost more than I paid for the cart…
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=141085
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:20 AM   #5
imstriker4
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply all. I ended up throwing in a cheap Amazon crap ignitor. The cart is running now. I realize it may not last but at least it is something for now.
imstriker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha