lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
NY911
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation NOOB with a beater.......

Just picked this up for free at a local farm - they said it used to run good - but they ran over the charger, so I need a new one...also - the batteries may not be good - I know 1 definitly isnt as the top is melted...

Overall - it looks sound - it rode nice as my bro towed it with his quad! :D

I am new to the cart scene - any help is appreciated.

Any idea what year/model this is? (I know I have to look the serial number up when I get home)

There is a pic of the batteries - what do you think?

Is this cart too far gone to be a viable option to fix up?

The plan is to make it a hunting buggy - complete with lift kit, tires, racks, winch, camo, etc....

I am looking on the site here and see an "economy lift" with tires that I like for $340....is 4 inches enough? Are there larger lifts for these older arts out there?

THANKS!

NY911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: NOOB with a beater.......

WELCOME NY911

Looks like you got an old Ezgo Marathon. A solid cart for the price...Problem 1 is the high cost of batteries...Everything you want for it is available; lift and tires. But concentrate on the batteries first as they are gonna cost the most and may be a deciding factor in the costs. Is there much rust, structurally? Remove the old batts and poke around with a big screwdriver. Also you can bet u are going to have to redo some of the electric and all of the battery cabling to the F/R switch and motor. How about brakes? It is easy to get alot of $ in a beater to get it to run good. But search our 'poor boy' cart thread for some examples of cheap fun with carts. And don't forget to consider boosting her to 48v to turn those monster tires you want! Basically u are starting from zip electrically speaking. Good luck.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
NY911
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!

I will certanly search that thread - but the other stuff is foreign to me! I am a retard with a wrench! LOL!
Old 05-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Eagleeye
Not Yet Wild

Looks like 83 ish model.
I have an 87 and the only lift kit I could find is the 4 in block type. It worked with new 22 in. tires. I would try to charge the batts and see if you get anything out of the motor before dropping $$$$$. Try charging 2 at a time w/ 12 v charger or each if you have a 6 v. If I had it to do again I would get later model- more options.
Eagleeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
NY911
Not Yet Wild

Cool - thanks - I HAVE to replace one batt - it is melted - and then I will charge them up to see...it allegedly ran before they ran over the charger - which I have to try and get to fix too....

I work for a PD, so the local golf course treats us well - I want to call them and see if they have a slightly used battery laying around to plug in...

I have my eyes on a 4 incg "economy" lift with 22 inchers....so those are perfect for me...the price is right too!
Old 05-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

welcome to BGW that will make you a great project cart
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
NY911
Not Yet Wild

Confirmed to be a 1983...frame is 100 percent sound....
Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome...................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
carolinasled
Dum Spiro Spero

Free is almost always good. Just a thought, For the price of a new set of batteries, electronics and charger, Might be worth it to do a gas conversion with a gokart axle setup and honda clone. There are alot of nice carts on here like that, Alot of knowledgable people and some good threads, Shouldnt be much a problem to do what you want.
carolinasled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Welcome to the forum

Boo
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO