lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2022, 11:43 PM   #1
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Default Advice on replacing battery charger in Precedent

I have a 2010 48V Precedent Cart 4 seater. Now running a 5KW Navitas controller and motor. Standard wheels.

My charger has failed for the second time since I bought the cart 8 years ago. I haven’t replaced this myself (my local mechanic did it) and so have no idea what the standard charger even looks like, but it is internal to the cart.

Right now I’m running Trojan T-875 batteries but would like option to upgrade to lithium one day in the future. I guess I need some very basis guidance on the best charger to buy (assuming that something better than standard is available) - must fit inside the cart same as the standard charger. I dont even know if there’s a charger suitable for both the Trojan and possible future lithium batteries.

Many thanks in advance. Always learning!
slobdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2022, 12:13 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Advice on replacing battery charger in Precedent

Lithium batteries will require a completely different charger than lead acid batteries. And most lithium packs come with a charger for that pack.

I wouldn’t recommend any charger for your current batteries and expect it to be compatible with a lithium upgrade
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:29 AM   #3
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Lithium batteries will require a completely different charger than lead acid batteries. And most lithium packs come with a charger for that pack.

I wouldn’t recommend any charger for your current batteries and expect it to be compatible with a lithium upgrade
Thanks. I guess I need advice on a good internal charger for standard batteries. Amazon works well for me as I’m overseas and they do free shipping on most items, but its difficult to tell if their chargers are suitable for being fitted internally to the cart. Advice appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:30 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The Lester Summit II is compatible with certain Lithium batteries, as well as Lead acid.
Delta Q also has a new version of their IC650 that is able to charge lithium. If you decide to upgrade to a commonly available lithium drop-in pack I would expect either one of those to have a suitable charge profile to match your battery.

You do have to be careful of what you buy if you are going to get lithium, it is not as forgiving as lead acid if something goes wrong inside the battery, or if it is not charged properly.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 02:38 AM   #5
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The Lester Summit II is compatible with certain Lithium batteries, as well as Lead acid.
Delta Q also has a new version of their IC650 that is able to charge lithium. If you decide to upgrade to a commonly available lithium drop-in pack I would expect either one of those to have a suitable charge profile to match your battery.

You do have to be careful of what you buy if you are going to get lithium, it is not as forgiving as lead acid if something goes wrong inside the battery, or if it is not charged properly.
Thanks for the advice - are these chargers suitable for internal fixing to the cart? Thanks
Old 07-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #6
mtollin
Gone Wild

Lester states their Summitt II is safe for on board mounting. You did not mention whether you have an OBC in the cart as it may have been disabled when the motor/controller were installed. If you do and want to use the factory charger plug outlet, you'll need to disable it (fairly simple), or replace the outlet, or simply get a connector such as sb50s and lift the seat to connect for charging.
mtollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car