lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #21
Mobug
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Got a voltmeter on my 94 EZGO that won't turn over heres what I got !

OK, here is what I have now. Went back to cart, I get 12.7 volts at the battery terminals, then I get 12.7 at the positive terminal of the solenoid and that is it. I get nothing at the selector, voltage reg. microswitch , solenoid terminals past the positive input, ignition switch, or starter, cranking or not cranking. When I run a jumper from the positive battery term. to little term. on solenoid(next to neg. output) it does click, but not when I press the pedal, it does nothing. When I run jumper from pos. battery term. to starter, it does nothing. Don't know why earlier it turned over when I jumped these terminals, but that was the first time it did that all weekend. Thinking about taking starter off and see if auto parts store can test it. All info appreciated Thanks!
Mobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #22
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Default Re: Got a voltmeter on my 94 EZGO that won't turn over heres what I got !

Two things i would try now. Some of your readings indicate a poor ground or none. Jumper a battery jumper cable from neg. of battery to the starter metal mount, then jump direct from batt. pos to starter pos.to starter and see if it turns. My 94 has a bare braded cable from blower housing to the frame and to ground on starter.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #23
jeffrun
Gone Wild

if the grounding doesnt help ,i would look at the starter for shorts,bad brushes, or armature.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #24
Mobug
Not Yet Wild

Thank You Jeffrun!, I ran a jumper from my neg. term. on my battery to where my braided ground wire bolt is on frame of motor. Then I ran my jumper wire from post. battery term. to the starter and it turns right over. Also turns over if I run jumper from batt. post. to solenoid. Thanks a million. I guess I know have to find my ground issue.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #25
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Where did you get the solenoid? The solenoid needs to be a continuous duty type, an automotive one may look the same, but it's not.The automotive type won't last very long, some won't last a day. It needs to be for the golf car.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #26
Mobug
Not Yet Wild

I got it from a golf cart place RMI here in Kansas City, so I hope its good. I also forgot to try to turn it over with the ground jumper from the negative term on batt to the ground on starter frame and use the pedal. I will try this tomm. Thanks everyone again..
Old 05-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #27
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobug View Post
Okay, back now after work and Mothers day. I took battery to local auto parts store and they said it checked out okay. So now here is what I got:

Neg. battery terminal to pos. battery terminal 12.7 volts Good
cranking 12.7 Should have dropped a little.

Neg. battery term. to big Pos. term. on solenoid 12.7 Good
cranking 12.7 to 13.0 Should have dropped a little.

neg. battery term. to little term on solenoid next to big pos. term 0 volts Good
cranking 9.2 volts Mine drops to 0.3 volts.

neg. battery term. to little term on solenoid next to big neg. term on solenoid 0 volts
cranking 12.0 volts Good as long as this side connects to microswitches

neg. battery term to big neg. terminal on solenoid 0 volts Good
cranking 8.8 volts to 9.1 Shows that it's working, but may be dropping too much

neg. battery term. to selector switch 12.7 Shows an open between battery, and selector. This is a different selector than mine. Is this a big wire, or small?
cranking 12.7 showing no change.

Neg. battery term. to both terminals on ignition switch (key on) both read 12.7 volts Cranking both read 12.7 volts (key Off) Only one reads 12.7 This is good. switch is working.

neg. battery term. to microswitch top 0 volts
cranking 12.1 volts Good. switch is working

neg. battery terminal to bottom microswitch 0 volts
cranking 12 volts Also good

OKAY now this is weird, 2 days ago If I ran a jumper from my pos. battery term to the little term. on solenoid next to big neg term, nothing
jumper from pos battery term to starter nothing.

BUT! while taking these reads, I noticed my cart stop clicking when I was pressing the pedal. Then I noticed that I am NOW basically getting 0 volts at any spot I was before. Nothing past the solenoid, I get 12.7 at the big positive term on solenoid and nothing no where else cranking or not. BUT when I take my jumper now and go from Posit. on battery to little term. on solenoid it turned over, then when I ran my jumper from the posit. on battery to starter gen. terminal it turned over. Now it has stopped, and I get no reads past the solenoid cranking or not and now the jumper does not work in either spot but it does make solenoid click when I hit it from the positive terminal to the little on solenoid. I am lost. Any ideas, I went in to this today thinking my starter may be bad what do you think?
I tried to answer in red, but it didn't work out.

Clean all 4 connections on your solenoid. After that, trace each of those wires to the other end, and clean them too. You can disconnect your battery, set your meter on ohms, and look for high resistance between each end of every wire.

A solenoid is 2 separate circuits. The small terminals are the control circuit. The big terminals are the flow circuit.
Putting power, and ground to the small terminals activates an electromagnet that pulls on a connector bar. That bar connects the 2 big terminals together, and current flows. There should be very little if any voltage drop between the 2 big terminals while activated.
When power is removed from the control circuit, a spring pushes the connector away. The side connected to your battery should show 12 volts. The other side should show 0 volts.

EDIT: I will study your wiring diagram at work tonight to get a better understanding.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #28
Mobug
Not Yet Wild

Popped in at home real quick and ran my jumper from neg. term on battery to ground with braided wire and pushed the pedal and nothing, But it will turn over when I jump from post. battery terminal to starter. Any ideas? I will try your directions to cartaround.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #29
Mobug
Not Yet Wild

So where I am at. When I run a jumper from my neg. battery term. to the ground connection (braided line) at starter frame and run a Jumper from my positive battery term. to the starter gen. it turns over.(means starter okay?)But when I leave the neg. jumper hooked up and I try the pedal to start, nothing. This is where I am at. So does this mean it is something in between? Thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #30
my1423
Gone Wild

Try staying on subject and eliminate one thing at a time and not jump around.
You may end up causing more issues then just a bad cable.

Did you remove clean and check the main cables on the solenoid as Cart Around said to do? Readings point to an issue there just as he stated. Big voltage drop at that spot.

You missed a couple of readings to check for bad ground.
+ meter lead on + terminal on battery
- meter lead to frame crank it - meter lead to generator crank it.

From your readings you have something a miss on the main cables at the solenoid.
Bet your positive cable is rotted on the end or its a bad connection.

This is why your voltage is so low there on cranking at the solenoid but still high at the battery.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO