lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Default Cart feels like it's rolling!

Ok, the specs...Allsports LT, homemade helper leafs in the rear, and 25+mph. My cart wants to float/drift or roll at high speeds whenever I hit a slight bump or pothole in the road. In other words, it will pull toward the low part(or drift) of the road or even hopp. The rear appears to be weak, I can get in to lean just from sliding my FA from side to side. I'm hoping my problems is that simple. I plan to get some heavy duty springs for the rear and some 2" spacers all the way around. What do ya'll think. Sound like that'll fix the problem?
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Cart feels like it's rolling!

Yep...
The HD rear springs should help, FA... j/k
although, I'm not sure the spacers will!

My gasser "did" something similar... It would get really "squirrely" at higher speeds,
come to find out, the "Toe In" was not adjusted correctly!
I adjusted it, and it runs "straight as an arrow" now!

The front, center of the tires should be 1/8" to 3/8" closer together, then the rear

I've never tried sliding from side to side while running at higher speeds,
I guess I'm too busy "White Knuckling" the steering wheel!

Just a couple of notes:
I have HD rear springs... (came on the cart)
1" spacers on front, and 2" on the back!
(I just wanted a wider stance with it being lifted... AND fast!)

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

Kinda sounds like a skateboard.
toe adjustment always seem to be the cause of wandering or darting on the ezgos, but it sounds like you have a little more going on than just that.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

I doubt wheel spacers are gonna do anything to reduce body roll.. The HD rear springs will help reduce body roll.. But unless you increase the front spring rate it's still not gonna handle like a sports car.. Some of the excessive body roll is a by product of having a tall lift on an electric cart.. When a gas cart is lifted, the cart's effective center of gravity doesn't change much.. The heavy mechanical components usually stay down at axle level to keep the driveline in alignment.. When an electric cart is lifted, there is a major shift in the center of gravity.. On a sparky, the 350-400# of batteries are lifted along with the chassis.. This can affect handling in a big way..

You might look into adapting the factory stabilizer bar (sway bar) from a CC Carryall to lessen body roll instead of increasing spring rates to bone jarring levels..
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post

You might look into adapting the factory stabilizer bar (sway bar) from a CC Carryall to lessen body roll instead of increasing spring rates to bone jarring levels..
Boy... if THAT isn't the truth!
(my back hurts just thinking about it!)
Old 02-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Boy... if THAT isn't the truth!
(my back hurts just thinking about it!)

You can make the HD springs a bit more bearable by removing a leaf, the band around the rear of the pack, and by putting some silicone o-ring grease on the plastic tip liners.. If I get a chance I'll take some pics of the spring mods I did to Ike.. Ike's ride is firm and controlled without being bone jarring.. And he handles corners at full speed like he's on rails..
Old 02-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Here's some pics of the spring mods I did to Ike..

The first pic is the modified HD rear springs.. To modify, remove both bands from each spring pack.. Loosen & remove the center bolt and remove the second leaf from the bottom of the pack.. Lubricate the tip liners before reinstalling the straight bottom leaf and center bolt.. Once the center bolt is securely tightened.. Reband one end of the pack by reusing the rubber insulator and a screw type hose clamp.. Tighten the clamp securely, until the clamp pulls the first & second leaves tightly together.. Reinstall the packs in the cart with the banded end toward the front of the cart, and lubricate all the poly bushings with silicone o-ring grease..

The second pic shows the modified front spring.. I took one of the leaves removed from the rear packs and added it to the front.. The center hole in the added leaf will have to be drilled out to accomodate the eccentric bolt in the center of the front spring.. Before assembling the leaves, brush a coat of anti-seize lubricant between the leaves.. You will have to use a C-clamp to squeeze the leaves together enough to reinstall the eccentric bolt.. Reinstall the assembled spring lubing the bushings with the same silicone grease used on the rear springs..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1126.jpg (61.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1100.jpg (55.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Check your toe in and also check to make sure tire pressure is not to low.and test drive it again
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Old 02-15-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
Quadmaster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
Here's some pics of the spring mods I did to Ike..

The first pic is the modified HD rear springs.. To modify, remove both bands from each spring pack.. Loosen & remove the center bolt and remove the second leaf from the bottom of the pack.. Lubricate the tip liners before reinstalling the straight bottom leaf and center bolt.. Once the center bolt is securely tightened.. Reband one end of the pack by reusing the rubber insulator and a screw type hose clamp.. Tighten the clamp securely, until the clamp pulls the first & second leaves tightly together.. Reinstall the packs in the cart with the banded end toward the front of the cart, and lubricate all the poly bushings with silicone o-ring grease..

The second pic shows the modified front spring.. I took one of the leaves removed from the rear packs and added it to the front.. The center hole in the added leaf will have to be drilled out to accomodate the eccentric bolt in the center of the front spring.. Before assembling the leaves, brush a coat of anti-seize lubricant between the leaves.. You will have to use a C-clamp to squeeze the leaves together enough to reinstall the eccentric bolt.. Reinstall the assembled spring lubing the bushings with the same silicone grease used on the rear springs..
Nice, That has to be the cleanest cart I have ever seen.
Quadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts