lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
saber
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1979 ezgo internal starter/generator problem

I have a 1979 ezgo with 244 robin engine. It has a internal starter generator. It is acting up. I need help and advice as I have never dealt with these. Any comments and suggestions is appreciated.

Starts well in reverse but there seems to be a point in the rotation were it won't spin the motor. In forward, it will not spin motor unless I position the crank in a particular spot. It ran well in both directions then suddenly could not spin fast enough in forward to start. Checked battery, gave it a charge, started and got into the garage. Now it is as described above. It deteriorated fast!

I have no tech manual but it seems like the starter/generator. Battery is good at 12.5 v no load. All connections good and tight. Took apart the switch, contacts clean and bright. How do I access the starter/generator? I assume I pull the flywheel. Can that be done with the motor in the cart? What problems should I look for? Brushes?

Other points - generator is charging. This cart is adjusted to idle all the time even with gas peddle not touched. I shut it off to reverse the motor so as to not load the starter too much. Idle speed set fast enough to Charge. Reason for this is this cart is used as a utility vehicle in upstate NY and is almost always cold so this helps the motor get warmed up.
saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
saber
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1979 ezgo internal starter/generator problem

More info.

I can see some brushes by looking through the windows in the fly wheel. They look ok. When the starter first starts to turns over the motor, I see sparks coming out the windows.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
saber
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1979 ezgo internal starter/generator problem

Where is the best place to get a manual on this engine. Does the puller use hooks ? I do not see any bolt holes.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO