lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
yamaha23313
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 Governor Problems

BACKGROUND: I have a 2012 Yamaha Adventurer One gas golf cart (basically a G29 with a bed and heavier suspension.) Before all this, it went 15-16 miles per hour.

After getting it back from the shop for some axle work, my golf cart now governs out at 10 mph which is slower than the original speed of 15-16. However, if you're on a straight or downhill it goes way faster than it should, like 20+mph. What it should do, and what it did before, is limit the speed of the cart entirely whether on a downhill or not. If it was in gear, it would only go so fast and not let the cart speed up (like engine braking in a car).

Now say I'm on a flat straight away. If I floor it and go forward, the engine stops revving up once I reach 10 like its going to top out at that. Then after that, it slowly creeps up to 20 or more. If uphill, it just stays at 10.

I'm pretty sure all you have to to do adjust the governor on this model is tighten a nut. Adjusting the governor works for where the engine is governed at, so I got it to govern it at 15, but straight aways or downhills it goes dangerously fast (damage to engine could be caused). So it's like it isn't limiting the speed just the engine rpm. Any ideas? Thanks.
yamaha23313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G29 Governor Problems

The governor in the trans axle is attached to the carburetor linkage and only limits the engine RPM. As far as freewheeling goes it has no control over that. Installing a new drive belt might give you some resistance to freewheeling between the drive clutch and the driven clutch. On my cart after replacing the JW1 Team clutches with the newer JW8 FBT clutches and the shorter J55 drive belt freewheeling is reduced by engine speed. Good Luck.

Robert
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:15 PM   #3
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 Governor Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha23313 View Post
BACKGROUND: I have a 2012 Yamaha Adventurer One gas golf cart (basically a G29 with a bed and heavier suspension.) Before all this, it went 15-16 miles per hour.

After getting it back from the shop for some axle work, my golf cart now governs out at 10 mph which is slower than the original speed of 15-16. However, if you're on a straight or downhill it goes way faster than it should, like 20+mph. What it should do, and what it did before, is limit the speed of the cart entirely whether on a downhill or not. If it was in gear, it would only go so fast and not let the cart speed up (like engine braking in a car).

Now say I'm on a flat straight away. If I floor it and go forward, the engine stops revving up once I reach 10 like its going to top out at that. Then after that, it slowly creeps up to 20 or more. If uphill, it just stays at 10.

I'm pretty sure all you have to to do adjust the governor on this model is tighten a nut. Adjusting the governor works for where the engine is governed at, so I got it to govern it at 15, but straight aways or downhills it goes dangerously fast (damage to engine could be caused). So it's like it isn't limiting the speed just the engine rpm. Any ideas? Thanks.
Well, the biggest clue is the fact that the problem appeared after you had axle work done. What was the nature of the work? If they pulled the case apart, it's possible that they messed up the governor mechanism. It almost sounds like the governor isn't working, or not right. The engine should never overrev if the governor is set up properly. The governor will continue to pull back on the throttle to keep the speed from exceeding the set level. My cart can be going downhill with the gas pedal floored and the engine will noticeably pull back to keep the speed in line. You may also have a worn belt or clutch issue if the engine is overrevving while going downhill, but can't make 10 MPH going uphill.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha