lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
totalrecall
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO TXT 2008 Gas Performance issues

I have a 2008 EZGO cart equipped with a Subaru 2 cylinder engine. About 4 months ago it began running rough and fouling the plugs and eventually quit running. Suspecting bad gas I proceeded to flush the gas tank, replaced the fuel lines, filter , carburetor, air filter and plugs. The cart now runs rough for several minutes then lose's all power and stops. I checked the compression and it appears fine reading 160 on both cylinders. I removed the drive belt and it seems to run fine accerates and doesn't seem to hurt for power. As soon I put the belt back on it still performs as before, running for a short time before losing all power. The plugs foul collecting carbon which when cleaned and put back in allow it to operate for a short time before returning to its loss of power etc. To me it seems to be connected to it operating under load but I'm at a loss as to how to fix problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dave
totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: EZGO TXT 2008 Gas Performance issues

Have you adjusted the valves? not saying that's the issue but you should rule it out.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
totalrecall
Not Yet Wild

I was under the impression there would be issues with the compression if the valves were out of adjustment. I did check and they are fine. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Tight valves can affect compression. loose valves won't hurt compression, they just don't open at the same time, and stay open as long as they should. intake valves are common to wear on these motors, which would create a "loose" situation. IF there's noticeably more threads showing on the intake valves than the 2 outside exhaust valves, they're worn and should be replaced.

Also, maybe a failing ignition coil? What color is your spark? bright and blue or yellowish? Did you check spark on both cylinders? These engines *can* run on 1 cylinder, but they'll fall flat on their face and lose power as you describe.

grab a spare spark plug. Run it until it gets warmed up and falls on its face, pull a plug wire and stick in your spare plug and check the spark to see what it looks like (on both cylinders).
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And don't trust the "in line spark testers". They're junk and give very misleading results. They'll tell you that you "have" spark, but it won't tell you if the spark is enough to jump the gap of the plug, or if it's hot enough of a spark to ignite the fuel mixture.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
totalrecall
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: EZGO TXT 2008 Gas Performance issues

Reset the valves and there was a marked improvement, not perfect but much better. Will replace the plugs again. Thanks for all the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO