lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #1
Jfrompa2000
Not Yet Wild

Default 1986 ezgo 2 cycle

Picked up a 86 ezgo 2 cycle not running. Has low compression 70-80lbs. Got it to run for a short time (few days)but it gave up now. Tore it down to find the piston skirt is cracked and the cylinder is scored some not terrible. Also the crank bearings have slight play and the crank seals are shot. No noticeable up-down play on the crank shaft but there’s a ton of side-side play on the crank rod at the crank. About an 1/8 - 1/4 inch. I see they sell complete rebuild kits but I can’t seem to locate someone that has one available. What’s the normal side-side play on these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94966649-0141-45E2-9EED-6381FE682044.jpg (18.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg AD855C67-3076-444E-B78D-7139286E4BB4.jpg (16.3 KB, 0 views)
Jfrompa2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986 ezgo 2 cycle

I have studied both manuals. They get very detailed in some instructions, and then completely gloss over other things. Page H-13 says to inspect for excessive up, and down, and side to side play. It never says what is excessive.

Post #22 has both manuals.
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=105501&page=3

Connecting rod play.
We always say that up, and down play is bad, but side to side play is ok.

Here is the reality. You are stuck with either. New crankshafts are not available, and they never will be. If it was completely trashed, you would have to find a donor engine, or separate the crankshaft to install new bearings. I might some day try that myself, but you have to rebalance the crankshaft.

Any up and down movement in the three main crankshaft bearings is bad. You will destroy seals quickly. I have replaced mine. They are cheap. A hydraulic press helps the job go a lot easier.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
Jfrompa2000
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1986 ezgo 2 cycle

I also have the manual it doesn’t really say what is bad side to side. I can’t believe that the crank rod would wear that much. If I hold the rod it doesn’t move side to side like the bearing is wobbling if you know what I mean. The whole thing just slides side to side.
Jfrompa2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO