lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default G1 brake shoe placement

The brake shoes for my 83 G1 are different lengths. Which shoe goes in the front? ( brake adjuster side)?
SLYS FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 brake shoe placement

Did you take both sides apart? If not, look at the other side. I believe the shoe with the longer pad goes on the front side of the axle.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:22 AM   #3
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks to Mikeasis for this info-
There are 2 styles with the G1. 79-81 with all 4 shoes being the same. 82 and later have a leading and trailing shoe with the longer shoe going to the rear.
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #4
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Im still trying to get my brakes fixed on my g1 rebuild. I ordered for the right model but got the wrong ones for my 83 G1. The ones i got were all the shorts ones. Going to reorder and hope that gets me some stopping power. Before i order another set i may measure the thickness of my drums to make sure they do not need replacing as well. I would luv to see a video of the shoe movement to see how much movement is correct. SLYs farm, if you can get a video of your shoe movement i sure would like to see it.

I have in the meantime got all the old green paint stripped off of it.
tennbamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

When you disassemble you’ll notice a slide type mechanism on the inside the cable operates make sure it’s in good condition. IIRC correctly this maybe a lube point, check at the bottom of my post for a service manual.
This “slide also has a lock nut that holds it together, it needs to be just tight enough that the slide still operates if that makes sense
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Mikeasis, i will review and investigate for your.
Old 12-19-2021, 02:17 AM   #7
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Ok.. so I now have the correct brake shoes and cables. I know the longer shoe goes to the back. I know the slider needs to slide. First...which end of the shoe goes up?( The ends are different), Second... the slider, which controls the gear mechanism, obviously needs to slide but how do you prevent the arm of the self-adjuster from popping out of the gear every time the brake cable is depressed??? On the driver's side, the self-adjusting gear appears to work... press the brake, the gear clicks, and the shoe in the adjusting screw widens out however the longer shoe to the rear shoes no movement whatsoever. On the passenger side, the adjusting mechanism isn't working at all. The arm that fits into the gear keeps popping out, therefore never going back into the correct position to move the gear the next time the brake pedal is depressed. I am totally stumped and highly irritated. I cannot find any diagrams online showing the schematics of the self-adjuster or any good explanation explaining in detail how everything is supposed to work? It seems simple enough, press the brake, the cable pulls the slider arm forward which controls the adjuster arm that seats between the teeth on the gear, turning the gear with each click, which is now moving the adjusting screw outward, pushing the brake shoe to make contact with the hub. So why am I having such a hard time getting this to work???? What am I missing?????UGGGGGGG
Old 12-19-2021, 02:33 AM   #8
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

one more thing.... any suggestions on how to attach the brake shoe springs?? I've been using an old vintage brake shoe tool with a hook but it's a little too long to get a good grip to pull the spring. I managed to get the springs on the driver's side without too much effort, but the passenger side??? A total nightmare. Any suggestions for a DIY tool?? Thanks, everyone!!! Any help would be much appreciated
Old 12-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

MYSTERY SOLVED! Sometimes the most obvious is last to consider. One thing the manuals and various diagrams regarding the self-adjusting mechanism on the 83 G1 never mention or show are the two plates that fit as part of the slider. One plate on the inside, one on the back. One plate has an even grove, the other has a notch. If these plates are put on incorrectly, which is easy to do,....the arm will not work correctly. Now that I've taken everything apart and put it back together correctly... low and behold ... the brakes work! and the hubs slide back on easily, which is how/ why my brake issues started.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:36 AM   #10
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Slys farm, do you still have your drums off. After a break, I'm getting ready to get back to work on my project 83 G1. Just curious if you could get pictures of the two plates you reference and or a video. I need to order some new brake shoes for mine as the original ones i got were short on both sides (wrong ones).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha